Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34534 02/08/01 02:47 PM
B
Bobbi Offline OP
OP Offline
B
We already have our airline tickets and are coming down April 2nd! I am so confused about where to stay with so many choices.

Basically we want to stay somewhere safe, close to nightlife, eating, shopping, etc. I understand ocean swimming isn't reliable. Being from NC and use to laying out and play by the waves seems odd. A guess somewhere with a pool is a must, right? But anyway we are ready for an adventure and to get away! We do plan to snorkel though!

We are assuming we need to stay close to downtown, right? We are looking at Roman's, Sunbreeze, the Palms and too many others! One person coming with us works for an airline, hence the tickets already. We want to stay somewhere nice, but not to pricey.
What is the water taxi? How much, what are its hours of operation?

Any help will help!

#34535 02/08/01 04:06 PM
The whole island is basically safe. There are no areas that you need to "worry" about. Of course you still need to use common sense.
Why don't you look at the lodging section of the board? It will have a map so you can see which places are close enough to town for you. It will also let you know which places have pools. Then come back and search the board for comments on the places you are interested in.
Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have an unforgettable experience.

#34536 02/08/01 08:30 PM
Bobbi,

The big difference between the North Carolina beaches (I wrote a Frommer's guidebook to the beaches of the Carolinas and Georgia) and Belize is ...

a) water clarity -- the water in Belize generally is, as in much of the Caribbean, gin-clear whereas the Atlantic in the Carolinas is often nearly opague due to all the sand and sediment being kicked up

b) lack of wave action -- Belize is NOTHING like the Outer Banks or even southern NC beaches where wave action is high. There are almost no waves most of the time along the coast of Belize, due to the barrier reef.

c) Belize coastal waters have a lot of seagrass -- again, due to the barrier reef -- and around Ambergris are quite shallow.

Swimming in the sea in Belize is usually not bad from the shore, though there is a lot of sea grass, and once away from the seagrass is fantastic. It can be quite windy and choppy, however.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#34537 02/10/01 07:31 AM
If I were you... I'd stay at my house.... But then I'm not you. I like Banyan Bay!

PS. Find out what I'm up to at www.broadjam.com/barefootskinny

Your's not in the Caye of "A"
#34538 02/10/01 08:58 PM
D
D
Don't listen to Skinny, He lives at my house! Try the Conch Shell if you like cheap and decent. Or Paradise Villas or Banyan Bay if you have more dough than me. It won't really matter as you will be out most of the time anyway. As motel six says, It's the same with your eyes closed anyway!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.