Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#345938 - 07/23/09 09:41 AM Tax on rentals more than 6 months
marvins Offline
Can anyone tell me if there is tax on long term rentals more than 6 months in Belize ?
Retired and loving it

#345941 - 07/23/09 10:28 AM Re: Tax on rentals more than 6 months [Re: marvins]
JZB Offline
The renter does not pay any tax. The rentee should pay a business tax.

#345942 - 07/23/09 10:32 AM Re: Tax on rentals more than 6 months [Re: JZB]
TravelinMan1 Offline
Don't forget that you need to collect and pay GST as well. The tax rate is 3% on long term rentals but there is a minimum amount which I can't remeber at this time. GST is 10%

#345944 - 07/23/09 10:46 AM Re: Tax on rentals more than 6 months [Re: TravelinMan1]
marvins Offline
I am the renter and will be renting for more than 6 months. My landlord is telling me that I am required to pay tax on my rent for the first 6 months and then no tax. Other people have told me there is no tax to be paid by the renter if more than 6 months.
Any help to clarify this would be appreciated
Retired and loving it

#345965 - 07/23/09 12:08 PM Re: Tax on rentals more than 6 months [Re: marvins]
Moose In Belize Offline
The landlord appears to be trying to pass any tax liability on to you. This topic has been recently discussed at:

Happy reading.
Moose Keep an open mind and something good may fall in.

#345978 - 07/23/09 01:16 PM Re: Tax on rentals more than 6 months [Re: Moose In Belize]
marvins Offline
So if I am understanding your replies correctly being a long term renter for more than 6 months I do not have to pay sales tax ( hotel tax )on my apartment.
Retired and loving it

#345979 - 07/23/09 01:21 PM Re: Tax on rentals more than 6 months [Re: marvins]
deadserious Offline
It might depend on your lease agreement. If you are month to month, then it could make some sense to charge you tax on the first 6 months. If you have a 6 month or longer lease, then it does not IMO.
Now back to your regularly scheduled drivel...

#346004 - 07/23/09 03:02 PM Re: Tax on rentals more than 6 months [Re: deadserious]
Three_Palms Offline
GST is only required if rental revenue grosses more than $75,000 BZ per year. Hotel Tax is required if your lease is less than 6 months. I have never heard of a tenant having to pay the business tax of 3%, but I suppose anything is negotiable.
Your Complete Property Management Service
Service is FREE for renters!

#346134 - 07/24/09 09:17 AM Re: Tax on rentals more than 6 months [Re: Three_Palms]
JZB Offline
marvins, if you are signing a 6 months lease, you do not have to pay tax. deadserious is correct though, if your lease is month to month you may be liable for 9% tax.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Shyboy), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.