Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#34720 02/14/01 09:24 AM
I have not stayed at the Hotel del Rio since ownership changed a couple of years ago, but I have generally heard good things about it recently ... as a modestly priced spot, not deluxe by any means.

I have stayed at Banana Beach within the past year and it's a definite step up. This condotel has lovely one-bedroom suites (the best are those on the two upper floors directly on the sea) with full kitchens, excellent management, and it's a terrific value, especially compared to properties in other locations around the Caribbean. It has a pool (though the pool location in the courtyard isn't as attractive as at some other hotels) and it's on/near one of the best beaches on the island.

I guess the only disadvantage (for some) is that it's a mile and a half or a little more south of town, but then many people prefer being a bit away from things. It doesn't yet have a restaurant or bar, but there are several good places to eat and drink within a short walk.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#34721 02/14/01 12:17 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Happy Valentine's Day everybody! And thank you so much for the enlightening responses. Well -- I have narrowed it down to two places: Banana Resort in San Pedro and Seaside Cabanas in Caye Caulker. Caye Caulker is looking better and better as I look around. Again, thank you guys and ladies. I truly appreciate all this help.

#34722 02/14/01 12:55 PM
I'd make my decision based on the two islands more than on any two specific hotels. Both Caulker and Ambergris can be great, but they tend to appeal to two different types of travelers (though the difference is gradually being erased as Caulker goes more upmarket).

A few things to keep in mind about the differences in the two islands:

* Caye Caulker is much smaller, in overall size, size of the town/village and in population.

* Ambergris Caye offers a far wider variety of restaurants, shops, groceries and upscale accommodations.

* Caulker has a far wider selection of budget and backpacker lodging, whereas Ambergris now has only a few budget places.

* Caulker is overall considerably cheaper -- especially in hotels, with the most expensive hotel only going for around US$100 in season. Snorkel and other trips may also be cheaper. Restaurant meals are somewhat similar in price, though on balance you can eat cheaper on Caulker and San Pedro has far more upmarket "splurge" places.

* While last year's beach improvement project did widen and improve much of the front side shoreline on Caulker, Ambergris Caye has far more beach frontage (north and south) and much better beaches than Caulker, though neither has world-class swimming beaches.

* There's more to do and see on and from Ambergris -- more tours, more nightlife, more options for just about everything, but then a lot of folks who prefer Caulker like it that way.

* A few things about the islands that may not be made clear in guidebooks or from Web ads:

-- A lot of the pipe water on Caulker smells awful, due to high sulphur content and brackish sources; also, I personally don't drink the water on Caulker, whereas I generally do on Ambergris.

-- Most hotels on Caulker do not have A/C and none that I can think of has a pool.

-- Due to its smaller population, Caulker has even more limited medical care available on island than does Ambergris. Basically, you'll need to go to Belize City for any treatment.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#34723 02/14/01 04:19 PM
J
J
I just got back from San Pedro for the first time and stayed at Coral Bay Villas. It's south of town...about a 15 minute walk on the beach. But the condos are excellent. The beach area is very nice and the rooms have a full sized kitchen, bedroom with AC, and living room. We were very pleased. They don't have a pool though. They also have bikes you can use for free during the day which we took advantage of. If you email them directly at [email protected] you may get a better rate. We went during peak season and paid a little over $100 per night.

#34724 02/14/01 09:49 PM
M
M
We stayed at the Seven Seas last Sept and really enjoyed our stay. Not luxury by any means, but close to town. They have a pool, kitchen,living/dining area, and air-conditioned bedroom. Great proximity to town. We did rent a golf cart for the week (the resort will call and they bring the cart). Oceanfront, small, friendly, and reasonable. Can't say enough wonderful things about AC, you will love it! It is truly magical! For any other questions, you can e-mail us direct at [email protected]. The only reason we would stay anywhere else on our next trip is to have a place with the pool oceanfront, but it really wasn't a big deal.

Mary and Scott
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.