Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
JZB #354780 10/16/09 10:12 AM
B
B
Me

JZB #354783 10/16/09 10:24 AM
P
P
I have no problems with people wanting jobs. I know lots of people currently living in the south, and the most I've ever heard them say they'd like is a better road when it's wet. Even then, not TOO good or it might persuade too many others to come visiting. To a man (woman!) they moved down there because they WANTED the relative isolation. They very directly do NOT want a new town down there.

None of which addresses the main point, which is the undoubted severe damage that will be caused to the natural infrastructure. I don't expect you to acknowledge this as you clearly have a significant financial stake in this development proceeding, but EVERY informed scientist and ecologist has condemned the vision of South Beach as terminal for Hol Chan. This really is a prime example of killing the goose that used to lay the golden eggs. Once Hol Chan is gone so will Ambergris Caye's attraction as a natural holiday destination. But I daresay you'll have left for pastures new by then - AC will be dead and there'll be better money-making ventures elsewhere.

belizenut #354784 10/16/09 10:26 AM
belizenut - I just looked at your profile and see that you just registered the other day. Is this just a new name? What is your investment in Ambergris Caye? Please come out from behind the smoke screen.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
belizenut #354793 10/16/09 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by belizenut
It's his money at risk. If nobody buys his units he goes broke. But obviously he has been very successful at what he is doing. Amazing, the people that don't live here bitch the most.

Yes, it's his money at risk, but it is your beautiful Island at risk also, can't you see that!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
ScubaLdy #354795 10/16/09 10:48 AM
B
B
This is not the USA or Canada. I wish you guys would quit trying to change it.
South Beach, if it ever gets built to the extent that the plans show ( 10 to 15 years ) does no futher damage than all the smaller developments that are built and being built with no allocation for sewage. All that are on the beach now in the south have septic tanks and no available land for leaching. This is all being leached directly to the sea. Yet these are allowed?
These places have been approved with no extra land for parking or proper septic control.

belizenut #354798 10/16/09 10:55 AM
P
P
That sounds like the argument that it's OK to drop litter because there's already a lot around. A vicious cycle that can never be broken. Regardless of deficiencies with existing arrangements, and raising them is really just a red herring, adding to them remains indefensible.

How do you address the studies that have suggested that South Beach will have a major deleterious effect on Hol Chan? Do you just ignore them?

Peter Jones #354799 10/16/09 11:10 AM
B
B
I cannot believe that South Beach will ever be as it is pictured. Nothing ever is. There will never be the people needed to populate that many units. Not in my lifetime. Let the guy build his couple of buildings. He has got to sell them before building more.
But your right it is too late for these other projects because they are built already. They were only approved because they were not as big a scale as South Beach. But if you really look at all the developments along the sea, that is the problem.

belizenut #354805 10/16/09 11:36 AM
The old "go ahead and shoot him again, he's already bleeding" argument.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
KC Jayhawk #354812 10/16/09 01:02 PM
T
TealH2O Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Wow, seems this Mr. Pierce is a thorn in many sides. Does he actually care so little about the island that he would proceed even after that march? I am getting very mixed reviews about this person, but more negative than positive. From what I understand from speaking with others, he doesn't actually use his money, or very little of his money if he uses it at all, and uses $$ of those who want to buy his units, getting "up front" money, then payments on percentages of completion of their units. It has a great potential of having the unit almost paid for when it's finished, but what happens if he hits a snag and doesn't complete it, or if he decides to just walk away? How do the laws in Belize protect buyers of Real Estate if at all? I would want some kind of guarantee that he couldn't leave the country with our money, if things got tough for him. Is he the type of person who would "screw you over" if it meant profits for him?
Who polices his current project and the pollution of the lagoon? Are there penalties to pay for polluting the lagoon? In reading older posts, I thought I read from someone that he has certain kinds of sewage containers that the end product is used for watering plants, or at the very least is harmless if released back into the environment. Who on the island polices this? I'm really thinking my relatives should go to another island, one that protects what they have, instead of allowing someone to run over the very people who live and work there.

belizenut #354818 10/16/09 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by belizenut

South Beach, if it ever gets built to the extent that the plans show ( 10 to 15 years ) does no futher damage than all the smaller developments that are built and being built with no allocation for sewage. All that are on the beach now in the south have septic tanks and no available land for leaching. This is all being leached directly to the sea. Yet these are allowed?
These places have been approved with no extra land for parking or proper septic control.

Belizenut what you say is not reflective of current codes and requirements. To be granted a permit to build on the sea front, a development must have eco-sensitive self-contained aerobic sewage systems. The water that comes out of them is potable. This has been the case for a few years now.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.