Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#34866 02/15/01 02:57 PM
A
OP Offline
A
My boyfriend and I are avid fly fisher"men" (live in CT) and we will be in Ambergris Caye during the first week of April - Trying to decide if we should stay at Mata Chica or Journeys End. Mata looks much nicer - however JE looks more "Fly Fishing" Orientated... Can anyone give me some help / direction / Pros / Cons? Really excited to visit!

G
G
1st i suggest you read fish2live posting re:
JE not ready for prime time it's current and informative.
i would look at mata for luxury not for great guides or fishing... if fishing is your main concern, you may want concider looking at el pescador or even turneffe island lodge...we are combining the best of both worlds 3 days at mata and also staying at TIL...maybe that works for you 2 too ???

[This message has been edited by garfish (edited 02-15-2001).]

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks - I actually read fish2live's posting right after I sent my inital message.. scary! Actually looking for both luxury and fishing - do you think we could go to Mata and organize our own fishing guides - either through Mata, a tour company or directly?

You might want to try the Victoria House and fish with one of the Bradleys. They are about as good flyfishing guides as you'll find anywhere.

A
OP Offline
A
Victoria House would be better than Mata Chica and private guide?

L
L
whatever you do book the guides from San Pedro or direct, not thru the resort. The ones at Journey's End were double what we paid via Tanisha Tours bookings and were no where near as good.

I would avoid JE at all cost. Mata Chica looks nice, and the Victoria House is awesome. Just pre-book the guides you want before you go ... Elodia at Tanisha Tours is great to work with and books many of the best guides !

... I Live 2 Fish !
A
OP Offline
A
GREAT - thanks so much for the input - Can you tell me how to get in touch with them and approximate costs for a full day fly fishing? Thanks again - really appreciate your help

D
D
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN JE AND MATA CHICA IS PRICE!! MATA CHICA DOESNT HAVE AS MUCH TO OFFER AS FAR AS WATER SPORTS AS JE. JE HAS THE DIVE SHOP AND HOBIE CATS, ETC. I STAYED AT JE BECAUSE MY HUSBAND LOVES TO BONEFISH, WE WALKED UP TO MATA CHICA AND HAD A DRINK AT THERE BAR $$ DO I HAVE TO SAY MORE.

D
D
I HAVE 7 RIVER GUIDES FROM EUG OREGON PLUS THERE WIFES ALL GOING DOWN TO JE NEXT WEEK AND THEY ALL LOVE TO FISH, WE ARE ALL STAYING AT JE BECAUSE THEY ARE REALLY GREAT THERE LINING OUT GOOD GUIDES.

E
Edd Offline
E
Read Marty's posts about local SP guides. Nuff said!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.