Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#348826 08/20/09 12:01 PM
V
OP Offline
V
We have been trying to book flights to Belize to visit the Cayes this month and have been surprised to find them not only higher than when we have usually travelled in the past (we've been down through the winter, March and June) but they have even gone up in price since we've been watching them. I would have thought they'd drop, not go up. Is this normal for August or is this an indication that there won't be any decent flights this winter as there have been in the past? Also, the only ones left now are +1 day with stop-overs which we would not want to do. perhaps that's because there are fewer flights in August?

Just wondering, since we generally come down at least twice a year, are we ever going to be able to find reasonable flights again!

I just checked the winter flights (we're usually ready to book for that time as well by this time of year), and the flights are the same as Europe right now, and used to be much cheaper. Have we just been getting lucky there past few years? Geez, we booked flights to Rome for half the price recently.

Flights just went down this week, and then went back up. You have to keep your eyes posted for a good deal and when you see it drop at all, be prepared to pull the trigger.

FareCompare is a great site to find the best deals and get notified of the drops as soon as they happen.

V
OP Offline
V
Dead, my point is we've never had to do that before. In the last few years, booking in advance for summer or winter high season was lower than doing so now. Yes, we also caught some great deals as well when we could be flexible (under $400 taxes in) but mostly we booked in advance and the prices were reasonable. Now they are ridiculous and those AA flights are one night stop-overs for us up north which we never had to do before.

For those of us with kids, we can't drop everything and pull them out of school for a last minute deal and we never had to before.

My question was for anyone who has been going down to Belize longer than we ahve, were we just lucky these last few years or if this is unusually high.

I use Expedia, I think all the sites cover the same airlines. We're looking for three weeks in the winter and would love to spend some money on the islands but frankly, it's just not a great deal and we're getting ready to book something. I'm not going to start waiting until the last minute to book the big once a year family holiday.

S
S
The flights are so ridiculous to Belize! I can fly out of Las Vegas to Jamaica for $400.00 less then flying to Belize!! I wanted to sneak a week back to Belize later this year or early next year but looks like I may end up in Jamaica because of the price difference!

I mean I can fly clear across the county to Jamaica for $345.00 or I can fly to Belize, which is much closer to me, for $754.00! The extra $400.00 savings means I can do so much more on my trip if I went to Jamaica! The savings is more then I paid per ticket a couple of months ago!!!!

R
ron Offline
R
I've been flying down to Belize fairly regularly for the past 8 years. If memory serves me correct, the cheap fares have only been around for the past few years. The last 7 flights down since Oct. of last year averaged a little over $350. This next ticket, during the slow season was $800. Doesn't make much sense, but then I've been quoted higher prices from Miami to Belize than New York to Belize. Same flights and dates. I don't think logic has anything to do with prices.

ron #349041 08/23/09 10:52 AM
In the last 5 years that I've been going down, this year is the only one I've found cheap flights. $700 the first year RT from vegas. This year, $400 and $330.

Originally Posted by Cancon08
Now they are ridiculous and those AA flights are one night stop-overs for us up north which we never had to do before.

If you are going to have to stop over anyway, you might consider flying into Cancun. Maya has started flying from Cancun to Belize and there is a great bus route to the border. There is also a new water taxi starting up from Chetumal straight to San Pedro as I understand it.

V
OP Offline
V
Things that make you "hmmmmm...."

I'll check that out. In the end it depends how long it takes overall and if you're just coming down for a week or longer. And if you have kids to cart around....

My first trip in 2002 (Wow! Has it been that long?) cost $525, quite a bit more than a flight to Cancun which is closer. My second trip in Feb 2007 was $650. Third one in Nov 2007, $750. I feel lucky to have found my flight for this coming February at $675 on American so I grabbed it. I might not have but this was the first one that didn't require an overnight stay on the trip back that I've seen since Feb 2007.

I just don't understand how it can be so much more to BZE than to other, more distant, locations.

Taxes, landing fees and fuel cost. Distance has a small role .
For the most part if the government wants to subsidize/forgo some of this to encourage tourism like Mexico has in Cancun we could do much better in the tourist industry.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 303 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.