Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#349640 08/28/09 07:22 PM
T
OP Offline
T
There are some new signs posted on beaches around town that read caution its jellyfish season. I guess I have not been on the island and in Belize very long but I seem to remember that the season for jellyfish is late to mid spring not now. I am on the water every day and have not seen any jellyfish in about 5 months. What were they thinking?

I've been seeing jelly fish - about the size of a lime, translucent - haven't been stung though.

I think it was around September last year that I was stung with a box type jellyfish called a Sea Wasp. It was about lime size and translucent with 4 long white tentacles. Hurt for a week!

Spring time is when the "pica pica" can be a problem. This is caused from the larvae as a result of the thimble jellyfish spawning.
Other jellyfish, of which there are many different ones, tend to be seen more as the water temperature rises this time of year.

T
OP Offline
T
Not just pica pica, manoware, mangrove jellyfish etc. Still have not seen a jelly but I will be looking.

P
P
Only once, three or four years ago, have I been seriously stung by pica-pica. Maybe I'm unusually lucky or tolerant, but I don't see it as a major problem. Not like the Great Barrier Reef off Australia, where jellyfish capable of killing a healthy adult are commonplace.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.