Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#349630 08/28/09 04:40 PM
OP Offline
Recent comments concerning "what the BTB should do" about air fares increases and it effect on tourism are of interest to most of the boarders, and definately to me. IMHO, the fact that Continental and American has the tourist industry of Belize by the short hairs is not the most pressing part of the problem. I can still get a r/t ticket from Kansas City to BZE for about $500 on Continental,,, if I go and return on flights of their choice. As I see it the problem lies in the fact that you can fly to most places in Central America for about 1/2 the price of a ticket to Belize.
Anybody care to venture a guess as to why this is so, and what might the BTB do to change it?

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
S
S
Volume, landing fees and departure fees.

Addressing the fees will help volume a bit but not enough to come close to other countries in the area. Don't forget that the population of our entire country is only the size of many of the other countries cities. Much of the other countries volume is also not as tourism dependant; it's their citizens doing much of the travel.

L
L
Is it the BTB that regulates the fees, or is it a private entity/individual? I have heard different facts about this.

Right now, I know several folks that want to travel to Belize, but look at the price of airfare and decide to go somewhere else. And it is not only compared to other destinations in Central America. A RT ticket to Europe is less expensive for me than a RT ticket to Belize.

OP Offline
I've heard very different versions of scenarios about "high landing fees, fuel costs, etc at BZE" and most are complete opposites. One thing that seems to be unquestioned is that, according to CARACOM News, Jamica will subsidize American AirLines some $2mil US in support of their tourist industry this year. Perhaps the Gov there has decided that it may be a good investment to offer a $250 subsity for each tourist who gets off the plane and spends $2000 during his week on the island. Makes me wonder !!. Also, the internet travel sites are absolutely full of bargain price (flights,hotels) trips to CA and the CARIB, but there seems to be little from Belize. Makes me wonder if anybody is watching the store, certainly the resort operators arn't.

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 146 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.