Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35126 02/22/01 06:01 PM
A
OP Offline
A
My boyfriend and I will be in AC 3/28 - 4/9 and we are planning/scheduling to fly-fish almost everyday. However, when the wind is a blowing we ain't a going.. if you know what I mean. I was wondering that if/when it is too windy to go out if we would be able to find a boat that would be able to take us out to the reef to do some snorkeling - or does this also have to be scheduled in advance.
I have been checking the board and everyone keeps talking about scheduling the snorkeling trips? On the otherhand is it possible to kayak out to the reef to do some snorkeling? [we are staying at Banyan Bay]
Would appreciate any feedback!
5 Weeks & counting!!!

#35127 02/22/01 07:12 PM
P
P
MY GIRLFRIEND AND I JUST CAME BACK FROM AC HAD A WONDERFUL TIME PRETTY MUCH ALL THE TOUR PLACES ARE ST SET TIMES 9AM OR 2PM AND IF YOUR WALKING AROUND OR DECIDE YOU WANT TO GO AT THESE TIMES YOU WILL EASILY FIND SOME TOUR OUTFIT TO BRING YA WE DECIDED TO SNORKEL 1 DAY AT 130PM AND WENT AT 2 THE KAYAK THING PERSONALLY I WOULD GO WITH A TOUR GUIDE THEY CAN GIVE YOU POINTERS WHERE TO SWIM -WHAT TO WATCH OUT FOR-AND IN EMERGENCY THEY CAN GET YA TO SURE FASTER [Linked Image]

#35128 02/22/01 09:43 PM
W
W
Flyfishing in a big wind is not the best but I can assure you the guides are adept at finding lee shores at the south of the island. At the very worst you are stuck with finding tailing bones in the skinny water mangrove lagoons(all beautiful).

In my opinion if it's too windy to fish the snorkeling is uncomfortable due to the chop and the water often cloudy. Bill

#35129 02/22/01 11:14 PM
I agree with Willyg -- if it's too windy to fish, it's likely too windy and choppy to snorkel comfortably.

You're coming at one of the windiest times of the year, the spring, and on quite a few days the chop may be too much for comfort. Once in a while we get comments from folks who have visited that "we didn't know it would be so windy on some days that we couldn't go out on the wate -- nobody told us." Small craft warnings are surprisingly common off the coast of Belize.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#35130 02/23/01 01:13 AM
you do not have to schedule snorkeling ahead of time, but some folks like to.

i wouldn't kayak out and snorkle, unless you had someone hanging onto the kayaks and not snorkeling.....

get too pooped also i'd think. the boat waiting is the best way....

#35131 02/23/01 03:21 AM
D
D
I'd be careful out there on your own at first if you don't know the water. The currents are quite strong in places and Kyaking and snorkleing at the same time could be tricky. Snorkle runs are easy to get at very little notice. Hell, there's always room for a couple more. Much the merrier. Don't know much about fishing. I guess that's why we eat so much chicken!

#35132 02/23/01 09:48 AM
R
R
can't say nobody told us so. We are coming down 3/14 for two weeks. sounds like we may see alittle wind. If so are we talking all day or are there times less windy for snorkling? We can always wind surf! Is there only one place in San Pedro to rent sail boards? CAN'T WAIT

#35133 02/23/01 03:40 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Rhino, we will be staying Banyan Bay Villas and I noticed on their web site under "Activities & Tours" that they had listing Wind Surfing rentals ($15/hour) as an "Off Site Rental". I would assume that there are perhaps a couple of places that rent them? Not too sure though - Perhaps someone else has the answer? My boyfriend is a really good windsurfer (I myself cannot even stand up) and I am sure he will be interested in knowing the deal too..

#35134 02/23/01 07:30 PM
D
D
Windsurfing is no problem. You see them all over the place lately. I believe Barefoot Water Sports has them as well as Searious Adventures. Probably a few others as the business seems to be booming.

#35135 02/25/01 11:36 PM
R
R
On the wind issue..do things slow down, wind wise, in Mid-April? i.e. less than March...

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 119 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.