The new United States Ambassador to Belize arrived today. Ambassador Vinai Thummalapally landed at the Philip Goldson International Airport at ten-thirty this morning. Thummalapally was personally selected by his former college buddy and U.S. President, Barack Obama. The ambassador did not take any media questions because he has not yet formally presented credentials. The first question to him is sure to be whether or not Obama would make a trip to the Jewel. However, the ambassador gave a brief speech from the tarmac.

Vinai Thummalapally, US Ambassador to Belize
ďItís a real honour that President Barack Obama has selected me to be the new US Ambassador to Belize. Itís also an honour that the US congress supported that decision and I look forward to presenting my credentials to the governor general here in Belize during this week. Belize and the United States have had a wonderful relationship, a strong bilateral relationship and during my tenure, I look forward to working with all Belizeans to further strengthen those ties in democracy, prosperity and peace. And Iím just delighted to be here. My wife and I have just traveled from Washington DC coming through Miami, and what a wonderful day here. Nice to be here. Thank you very much.Ē

Thummalapally replaces former ambassador Robert Dieter.