Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#35200 - 02/25/01 01:37 AM ruins tour from Belize Cit
geckogirl Offline
We are staying at the Radisson in Belize City late afternoon on Mar 24. We're not leaving to go to AC until the morning of Mar 26. What is a good ruins tour to take? Also aren't there some ruins on AC to see? Would appreciate any help you can provide.

#35201 - 02/25/01 06:14 AM Re: ruins tour from Belize Cit
Karen Pasquariello Offline
Hi,
Out of all the ruins, I think for a day trip that you see the most going to Lamanai. You travel north by road into the Orange Walk area, the get on a boat where you see lots of birdlife and sometimes crocodile. The Ruins are nestled in the jungle and it is a nice walk to visit the different sites. Sometimes you see monkeys and if you have a good guide, they explain the trees and plants and their medicinal uses. I really like the Novelo brothers as guides. About ruins on Ambergris, when I lived there I heard about some mounds, but would never know they were ruins. I never saw them, but it is nothing like the ruins on the mainland.

#35202 - 02/25/01 09:38 PM Re: ruins tour from Belize Cit
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I agree with Karen that Lamanai ruins are wonderful and a great trip. However, if I were staying in Belize City for two nights as you are, I'd probably rent a car, get an early start and drive out to Cayo for a full day -- stop at the zoo along the way, then go on to San Ignacio to see Xunantunich and Cahal Pech or skip Cahal Pech and drive to Che Chem Ha to see the cave (great home-cooked food, too).

You can easilyh do Lamanai on a day trip from Ambergris Caye, but it's a little more complicated and time-consuming to do Cayo from San Pedro.

There are Maya sites at the south end (Marco Gonzales) and also the far north end of the island, and probably elsewhere as this island was home to Maya for many centuries, but they are difficult to get to and really there's little to see expect bumps.

--Lan Sluder

#35203 - 02/26/01 06:35 AM Re: ruins tour from Belize Cit
Dallas Dave Offline
Chem Che Ha? Hey Lan, I have not heard of this place. What's it like? Near the Guat border? Do you reccomend it? Thanks

#35204 - 02/26/01 03:03 PM Re: ruins tour from Belize Cit
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Yeah, Che Chem Ha is a cave on private property west of San Ignacio. It's has a lot of Maya artifacts. The family that owns the land also have a small lodge and restaurant -- highly recommended.

--Lan Sluder

#35205 - 03/01/01 08:39 PM Re: ruins tour from Belize Cit
chipper Offline
I have the same situation next week and have decided to go to Tikal before heading to AC for a week. My plan is:

3/8/01 - late afternoon arrival in Belize City. Stay in the city overnight.
3/9/01 - take first flight (8:30 am) to Flores. Transport to Tikal from airport and guided tour of Tikal by the folks at Hotel Tikal Inn (lunch included). Stay at the Hotel Tikal Inn overnight.
3/10/01 - second part of guided tour (breakfast included) and depart Tikal/Flores at around 2:30 pm, arriving in Belize City at 3:30 pm and catching the 3:40 pm flight to AC (there by 4:00 pm).

I know that you were thinking of being in AC on the morning of the 26th, but from what I've read and heard about Tikal, it should be pretty spectacular. The total cost for the Tikal stuff should be a little over $325 (~$175 for the airfare, ~$140 for the hotel, transport and tour). It might not be the least expensive way to spend 1 1/2 to 2 days, but I'm really excited about it. In addition, the guy at Hotel Tikal Inn I spoke with (Ricardo) seemed really friendly and helpful.

Hope this helps. I'll be able to write about my experiences once I'm back on the 18th!

#35206 - 03/01/01 09:05 PM Re: ruins tour from Belize Cit
Debbie Offline
Chipper,
You will LOVE Tikal. I didn't know what to really expect when I went, but I know the pictures were sure impressive. Multiply your best expectations by 50 and you have Tikal. It was the most spectacular thing I've ever seen. Our guide for the tour was awesome. He was a college kid who was majoring in Mayan studies. He was Mayan himself. Young and energetic. Instead of the footpaths, he took us through the jungle instead. Grueling, but well worth the treasures that awaited us. You will have a wonderful time and have an experience that you will never forget.
Debbie

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Judyann H., Marty, 1 invisible), 29 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,047 Topics
462,268 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.