Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#35213 - 02/25/01 02:49 AM sunbreeze vs. banana beach vs. mayan princess
nomodesert Offline
My husband and I are planning a trip to AC in may and looking for the moderate priced lodging that give you the most for your money.

We would like a nice beach, snorkling, and are scuba divers. We would like to be somewhat secluded, but close enough to town to walk.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

#35214 - 02/25/01 12:58 PM Re: sunbreeze vs. banana beach vs. mayan princess
Axeman Offline
No Mo,
My best suggestion is to read thru the last 20 days of posts..After I spent some time looking thru the old posts I got a better feel for what the costs and plusses are of each place.
All the folks here are VERY helpful..all go out of their way to define what your looking for.
I too had to make the choice between saveing money on Luxury Sleeping and more time on AC.
Define your level of comfort needed first, then make a list of the "Must Do's".
If your a party person stay in town...if your looking for romance and intimate settings look south or north of town.
Farther to travel, but the Caye is'nt so large that you'll be all day traveling back and forth.
There are no "Bad" choices here..the place sounds like Heaven!!!!
Hope this helps....on top of this page are many helpful links to everything AC.
I've spent close to a week looking at the various links trying to define how I'm going to spent my time and money.
Good luck...it's all part of the adventure!!!
Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...

#35215 - 02/25/01 03:30 PM Re: sunbreeze vs. banana beach vs. mayan princess
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I agree that going back and reading what others have said about these properties will give you a much better feel for them (use the Search button on this board.

I’ve personally stayed at all three, and I like them all. Here is my take and star ratings on these three places, from my Free, Fun & Easy Guide to Ambergris Caye (updated).

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

* * * + SunBreeze Beach Hotel, P.O. Box 14, Coconut Drive, San Pedro, tel. 501-2-62191, fax 2-62346, e-mail sunbreeze@btl.net. The SunBreeze always had a great location, just steps from the San Pedro air strip (but you shouldn't be bothered by airport noise) and within walking distance of most of what there is to do in town. Under manager Julia Edwards, SunBreeze was upgraded and considerably improved. The most-welcome addition was a freshwater pool, which my family of pool experts considers one of the best in Belize. The pool is just steps from Caruso's restaurant and bar, pricey but convenient, and handy to BJ’s beach barbecue. SunBreeze has 39 large rooms, configured in a two-story motel-style U-shape. Five of them are billed as "deluxe" with amenities such as jacuzzi tubs. All have strong air conditioners, telephones, cable TV and tile floors. The best rooms are the deluxe rooms on the first floor near the water, on the dive shop side. Management promises further upgrading. SunBreeze is directly on the water, with a dock and an independent dive shop, but there's no swimming beach. The beach at Ramon's is nearby. The SunBreeze has handicap-accessible rooms, uncommon in Belize. Rates for doubles, in-season, US$120-$150; off-season, US$90-$125, plus 7% hotel tax and 5% service. Children under 12 free. Some package rates may be less. Bottom line: Not true luxury, but comfortable, spacious, convenient, casual and very pleasant - good place for families.

* * * + Mayan Princess, Barrier Reef Drive, San Pedro, tel. 501-2-62778, fax 2-62784, e-mail mayanprin@btl.net. Three-story, seafront coral-colored condotel has 23 large and attractive one-bedroom suites (king or queen beds) with kitchenettes, phones and cable TV. Suites have an airy, tropical feel, with great views of the sea. Good management, by Sheila and Rusty (yep) Nale and their friendly staff. Convenient to everything. Beach-front, but the in-town beachfront can be busy with pedestrian and boat traffic. No pool. The recommended Amigos del Mar dive shop is close by. The hotel is just a short stroll up the beach from the pier where the water taxis from Belize City arrive. Rates about US$90 double off-season, US$125 in-season, plus hotel tax and 10% service. Packages available. Bottom line: Convenient, spacious seafront suites with a comfortable tropical feel.

* * * * Banana Beach (Coconut Drive, P.O. Box 94, San Pedro, tel. 501-2-63890 Fax 501-2-63891, e-mail coconuts@btl.net. ) This mango-colored condotel, which opened in late 1998, about 1 3/4 miles south of town between Tropica and Mata Rocks, consists of a single large three-story building, designed in a style similar to Mexican hotels in Mérida, around a courtyard and swimming pool in the center of the complex. It has 35 units, all one-bedroom, with full kitchens, attractive island furnishings and cable TV. The seafront units have by far the best location and are worth the extra money. The corner seafront units on the second and third floor are the top picks, with balconies just feet from the water. Six of the corner deluxe units have king-size beds. Pool is in shaded center courtyard which means in winter the water can be cool. The adjoining beach, Mar de Tumbo, is one of the best ones on the island, though like most beaches here has seagrass. Friendly, helpful, competent management team. Rates: Around US$100 to $135, with the best deals usually available via direct book on the Internet. Some units have been rented to medical students at the nearby St. Matthews medical school. Bottom line: Friendly spot with spacious suites, an excellent value, on one of best beaches on the island.
Lan Sluder/Belize First

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 109 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,679 Topics
461,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.