Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
P
Make sure you have proof of residency.

R
ron Offline
R
Do you have to be a legal resident to get your license? I have property in Belize but am not a resident.

ron #359642 12/01/09 04:55 PM
C
C
Yes, you need to be a legal resident, not just a property owner.

B
B

Originally Posted by Casa Pokey Jan
Yes, you need to be a legal resident, not just a property owner.

Are you sure? I think they made some changes to accommodate those that own property but are not residents of Belize. Anyone?

S
S
Property owners have gotten theirs in the past year, no idea if it still holds true. Things change often. You must bring a copy of the deed or share certificate with you to prove ownership.

"Just another Day in Paradise"
S
S
From the Belize Port Authority website today:

For a Foreigner to obtain a Boat Master's License he/she must posses either of the following:

�Valid Work Permit
�Residency Card
�Valid Passport or
�Retirement Pension Card (provided by the Tourism Board)
Once the applicant has met the requirements mentioned above in subsection 2.3.1 the applicant will then be required to first sit a written examination that is conducted every Mondays and Tuesdays respectively between the hours of 10:00-11:00 pm at the Office. This exam is based primarily on the contents of this booklet. These booklets are available for sale at the Belize Port Authority's Office for an administrative fee.

After successful completion of the written exam the applicant will then be required to take a practical examination using his own personal vessel.

�After successful completion of the written and practical exam, the applicant will be asked to provide the Authority with two passport sized photographs and a fee of $25.00 per year.
�The first license issued to an individual after having met the requirements is an "A" Class and age restriction is twenty one (21) years for A2 class license for commercial vessels. To upgrade license individuals need to wait at least six (6) months after obtaining the first issue of their Boat Master's License.
An application for upgrading of license must be submitted to the Harbour Master, if approved the person will be required to do a practical test for the upgrade.

Note: All Boat Master's License expires on the Captain's Birthday. Upon obtaining a license Master's have the option to pay for a maximum of three years.

Hopefully this will help...

B
B
So if all it takes is a valid passport, all visitors or part-time residents will qualify, yes?

B
B
as elbert said above it does not have to make sense...

to submit to the practical exam in your own boat and they won't come to you anymore???

say I had a 16 foot skiff with a 1977 evinrude 8 hp, I am supposed to drive it across the bay!!!

crazy!!

I'll call the BPA and see what they say

Last edited by blat; 12/02/09 09:18 AM.
myself and 5 other men work here and all hold valid captain lic. One Mexicain, four Beleazean and one halfbreed, no two of us got our lic. the same way. pot luck!
Go stand in line at the port authority, have your ID's and a couple of photos of yourself.See what they say.It really helps to be humble and polite, Compare them with the USA, demand something because you think its fair or your right and you may be in line for the rest of your life:-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
I was pretty put off by the limits for licenses until I saw the damage some "experienced" captains from elsewhere did to the coral by way of not having sufficient local information (and refusing to hire local captains to guide them) before setting anchor.

It seems that arrogance and ignorance are common companions.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.