Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#352367 09/24/09 10:53 AM
OP Offline
so, i got a netbook in the states. i want to be able to use my main PC and access the internet wirelessly using the wireless card with antennae i stuck in the machine. the wireless card is 2006 Lynksis, and i've no idea if it is working, and i've no idea if it can make my computer wireless. the PC and the netbook are both picking up a week, locked signal from a nearby resort, so i think the wireless card in the PC is working but picking up, instead of transmitting. can someone help? i'm not even sure if i've described everything right...i'm a techno loser

bah!

There are a couple types of wireless. I'm assuming you mean it connects to a wireless access point, before being routed to the Internet, as opposed to a cellular card. If it's a Linksys, that should be it. If it's a cellular card, it acts as a dial-up modem to your wireless carrier for Internet access.

To connect to a wireless access point, you first need a wireless access point. If you're using it at home, you'll need to purchase one, connect it to your Internet connection and configure it for connection and security.

If you mean you would like to connect via an access point you don't own, you'll need to find one that is open, unless you have mad hacking skills in which case I'll let you figure it out on your own. Many businesses like coffeeshops and restaraunts have open wireless access points for their customers. It will show up in your list of networks as Unsecured. Some hotels have wireless access points for their customers but change the password to connect each day. The front desk would have to give you the new password.

P
P
Or did you mean your main PC has an internet connection and you want your netbook to piggy-back onto that connection? Or perhaps vice-versa?

Assuming the PC is a desktop model and not readily portable, I'd take the netbook to somewhere like Limes or Estelles and make sure the wireless on that is working. At Limes you'll have to ask for the password, which doesn't change.

S
S
If you're picking up a signal it works. All you need is a wireless router. Instead of plugging your main PC into the Internet modem you use the wireless router. You need to set up the wireless router with a name, make sure that the settings are private and password protected, input the name and password for your wireless router into your computers and bingo you're in business. If your main computer doesn't have wireless then you can hard wire it to the router instead of the Internet modem.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 262 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.