Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35275 02/27/01 09:33 AM
A
OP Offline
A
My boyfriend & I love to fly-fish, however, we are also thinking of bringing a spinning rod or two & tackle.
Would really appreciate ANY advice on what rod(s)and what type of lures to bring? (We will be down in AC 3/27 - 4/9).

W
W
See my post below amd also tflats.com for their suggestions out on Turneffe Atoll.

I'd bring 2 9wt fly rods with lots of Gotcha and Crazy Charly flies in #6 and 8

A spinning rod for 10 lb test, with some 1/4 oz jigs (brown yellow pink)and some 4 to 6" rapala types lures in silver with black or blue or green.

Something heavier for 20lb test for large baracuda or Tarpon (unless you have a 12wt flyrod) For tarpon the lure should be castable and 6" or so and run 1 to 2 feet deep(sinking Rapala type?). Green Tube lures are the thing for Baracuda 12"

Bring lots of fly leaders plus steel and heavy mono for the big stuff. Good luck. Bill

G
G
what do you mean by "green tube lures" ? and how did you fish them ? how long and what weight steel leaders?

W
W
garfish, Tube lures are simply a piece of 3/8 diameter surgical rubber tubing normally floresent green with a sinker at one end and treble hooks out the center and other end, all connected by a piece of wire. You cast and retreive it a fast as you can or troll at about 8mph. They are heavy thus the heavier tackle. I'd suggest 6 to 9" 60lb leaders. Check Cabella's or Bass Pro --try http://www.basspro-shops.com saltwater tackle. Get a couple are they get chewed up quick. Bill

G
G
thanks for the help... like the leaders, is there also a tube bait that i can order for bass pro or cabelas?? i have both of their saltwater catalogues??? thanks again for your suggestions !!!!

[This message has been edited by garfish (edited 02-28-2001).]

W
W
yes re tube lure. Bass pro for sure. Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.