Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#35367 02/28/01 03:37 PM
A
OP Offline
A
What is the typical TIP for fishing & diving guides. We will be going out with a few different fishing guides (some for multiple days) and wanted to see if anyone knew what is "expected". Someone on the board suggested bringing extra flies / leaders to give as tip? We are sure that we will want to thank our guide(s) after a great day of fishing - just wanted to get some feedback on what would be most appreciated - $$$(and if so, how much) or something from the US (suggestions???)

#35368 03/02/01 10:09 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Me again... sorry this is kind of rude but I just wanted to try one more time to see if anyone could offer any advice. (thanks / please)

#35369 03/02/01 10:37 AM
We bring hooks, line, tools, etc. as gifts for our guides. We tip same as we do for restaurant service 15 - 20%. That may seem high to some people but we have always had a great time, we have wonderful guides and we have never gotten skunked, in over 10 years of fishing AC!
Belize it!

#35370 03/02/01 11:08 AM
B
B
I don't fish much, but a good cigar is often appreciated. What about some good hi-tec gear for a guide? Those new flashlights go over big. Or whatever is on sale at the gear store. sunglasses are always cool.

#35371 03/02/01 11:54 AM
W
W
The guides are well compensated so a tip should not be automatic. 20$us is a good tip for an exceptional day. We always provide lunch and they really loved the Lions Club chicken. Bill

#35372 03/03/01 01:56 AM
B
B
I certainly don't want to start an argument here, but in my experience, I didn't see much to suggest that the guides are "well compensated." Maybe relative to some others on the island - don't know. The guides arranged through hotels, etc., certainly don't net the whole fee. Perhaps by coincidence only, the four AC guides I've had experience with were all married, and three still had kids at home. My sense is that the 15-20% guideline is a good one, with adjustments for the experience - good or bad. Equipment gifts are appreciated, for sure, but cash buys groceries.

#35373 03/05/01 11:17 AM
W
W
Bonehead. Certainly I meant well compensated by local standards. Why do we North Americans insist on applying our standards when we travel.

On an off day I visited my guides home located on the lagoon fronting on a main road. Nice 2 story home, small grocery store in the front operated by his wife. Boat parked out back, he is barbequeing chicken for lunch for his three highschoolers. Computer, email, phone, TV, all the stuff. Certainly a thriving middle class family in this context.

No I didn't tip him everyday as I would a foodservice person living on tips. I did treat him as an equal and went out of my way to shop at his store. And I agree tips should be in cash as it must be demeaning to the locals for visiters to be handing out trinkets to the guides or children in the streets.

Personally I think charitable gifts would be more appropriatly directed to groups like the Lions Club who will see it gets to the most needy. Bill

#35374 03/05/01 05:08 PM
R
R
As far as Im concerned, your trip is as good as the guide you have. In light of that, I tip quite heavy. I found that when I come back to the island, Its never hard to book a trip (the schedule mysteriously opens up!!!) We had four in the boat last week and tipped $50us plus gear on a half day. If you plan on returning, you will find that it goes a long way.

Uh huh. Yep. That was me.
#35375 03/06/01 11:28 AM
G
G
i tip according to the EFFORT put forth not necessarily the catch...good effort = $$$
a good effort consists of moving or hunting for fish...when succesful, cleaning the catch and if an all day charter, maybe offering a shore lunch...as opposed to boat riding or sitting in one place, with no fish and not offering any suggested change of bait and or technique...you know when a guide has done his best or not and tip accordingly to the EFFORTS AND HOSPITALITY of your guide for that day....remember, it is fishing... and there are times when the fish can be tempermental and difficult...hey on occation even MJ would have a bad game for the Bulls..it even happens to TIGER WOODS 0 for 6 in 2001... so that being said,TIP FOR EFFORT & HOSPITALITY...great effort and a succesful day $15-$25.

[This message has been edited by garfish (edited 03-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by garfish (edited 03-06-2001).]

#35376 03/06/01 03:24 PM
G
G
JUST CURIOUS...T.I.P. WHAT IS THE MEANING??
or
TIP WHAT IS THE MEANING OR THE ORIGIN...??

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 165 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.