Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
OP Offline
F
I want to mail a care package to my daughter who is volunteering in Sarteneja for the next month, and then she will be moving on probably to Caracol. Which is the best carrier to send it through? Fed Ex or Post Office? Can I expect it to get to her intact? What about duty? anything you can think of to tell me here (I do know not to pack things that will melt) would be helpful. thank you

T
t42 Offline
T
We use the post office all the time for small parts and materials and it is very good service. We use both addresses in Belize City and Ladyville and touch wood never a problem. Fed Ex is extremely expensive and it is certainly not overnight and they do not deliver one must clear the package with customs.

Totally agree - we have parcels sent via the post office 2-3 times a month, and in approx 9 years only two have had problems. One never left the US (see comment below on insurance) and the other was misdirected to Brazil!, but even then it turned up a couple of months later with no damage. I usually use the Priority (7 day) or Express (4 day) options as you can track these online, and the PO flat pack boxes hold up well to the handling. Depending on what is in the parcel your daughter will have to pay duty (anything upto 45% on say cosmetics) and 10% sales tax on the declared value of the contents, when she collects it from the post office. I would strongly suggest you do NOT insure the parcel - it only suggests it is of high value and so may be less likely to reach its destination.

P
P
I agree from experience with all the above points, both about the Post Office and FedEx.

F
OP Offline
F
would she have to pay duty on the following: gum,cookies, beef jerky, jelly beans, banana chips, pita chips, energy bars, kleenex, insect wipes, bug spray, first aid cream, antiseptic wipes, and a couple books? all repackaged into ziplock bags, except the cookies, which would get crushed. maybe I should put them into a glad snack box? and if she would have to pay, how much? just wondering if it is worth it to send.

F
OP Offline
F
oh and thanks so much for the great responses! smile

F
OP Offline
F
oh, and.... should I put a list in there of what is in the box, along with costs/values? or do they need that? would it be helpful to keep the duty fees down? sorry, I just have never sent anything anywhere that required a duty.

P
P
If in doubt, expect to pay duty on anything either made or sold in Belize. I can't see it would be worth sending something like cookies, unless they're VERY special!

Yes, you do need to enclose a complete list of contents and purchase prices. Failure to do that will just cause delays.

Belize raises a significant proportion of its taxes from import duties, so expect to pay quite a lot. I was once sent a box of doggie treats & toys as a gift. Cost me almost Bz$300 in duties to get what in the US had cost around US$70.

F
OP Offline
F
not sure I understand. you say if it is made or sold in belize, pay duty? do you mean if they have cookies in Belize, and I send cookies, then I'd pay duty on the cookies? or the bug spray? or the jelly beans? really? might as well just put money in her account and hope she can get to a store. yikes really?

S
S
Duty and tax would be due on all those items. It's a bit ridiculous but even things that are clearly marked as birthday or christmas presents are charged duty or maybe it's just the post office in SP is not that lenient.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.