Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#354576 10/14/09 10:13 AM
OP Offline
Well it seems that the Cayes are up in arms with the recent crimes that we are being subjected to. Caye Caulker's neighbourhood watch is being revived and set in motion, the north (San Pedro) neighbourhood watch is plugging away, Escalante Subdivision's group is making headway, and now San Pablo/San Marcos are going to "take back their community."

South Ambergris Caye Neighbourhood watch is holding its regular meeting tonight and all community members are invited to attend. The committee and its members are all willing to give support and advice to any community leaders that would like to take advantage of the experience we have garnered over the years, and most especially in this past year.

Sadly the reason the neighbours are all getting together is to protect ourselves from criminals, but I know I can say that it has been a pleasure and a comfort getting to know my neighbours and feel that I can call on any of them, day or night for assistance.

Other positive projects are a by product of the communities getting together - neighbourhood clean ups, fun fundraisers, creating situations where the kids can play and learn about community spirit.

We are rebuilding our love, pride and togetherness. This is our home and we want to share it with those that enjoy and enrich our island life. All others need to be deterred and banished!! (oh if only we could do that.)

Support your local neighbourhood watch group - get involved, be part of the revolution - take back our streets, take back our island, regain our rightful name - La Isla Bonita in the Jewel of the Caribbean.

T
T
hear hear!

The San Pablo/San Marcos meeting went well last night. Looking forward to getting even more involved.

Could not agree more Amanda. The time for action is NOW! Count me in. It's up to the people to make it happen. By the time the cops get around to doing anything, there will be golf courses on Mars! Es ahora o nunca!....(It's now or never!)

---------------------------------------
"I only fish on days that end in "Y" smile

N
N
We just returned from San Pedro...one of the best vacations our family enjoyed together...loved your community..loved the people..we wish you the best..stay safe..hope all works well for San Pedro and the surrounding communities.

OP Offline
Thanks for the encouragement Niklauryn

G
G
Well said Amanda, I remember you saying how the watch was drawing the community to gether, I hope it works as well for the other groups.

A
A
Personally I think this thread is one sided. Expat version.
'Take back our streets'...does the implication of such statement reach the intellect of anyone here?

The Irony in all this...
Crime brings you closer.

L
L
Expat version?? Many of the victims of crime have been Belizean citizens, from Caye Caulker to San Pedro. San Mateo/San Pablo area as well as Escalante subdivison are forming neighborhood watch groups to combat this problem and "take back our streets". The majority of residents in these areas are Belizean. We all want to live without fear of assault and robbery.

R.B. Mernitz
On the other hand - I'd say yes, most threads on this message board are "ex-pat" versions, as this message board has that primary orientation. It was started to inform folks who don't live here about Belize, and retains that flavor to a great degree.
The flavor of this message board does not diminish the community concern on this subject - and the unified belief that citizens can make a difference.

OP Offline
Atrorious - I am a Belizean.

Our entire town is experiencing problems with crime - my friends in every area of town are recounting stories of break-ins, thefts, assaults - no I don't see where you can possibly be thinking that crime is a problem that only ex-pats are trying to address.

If you think the conversation is one sided why don't you take up the part of the criminal - tell me why I should allow you take everything I have worked for? My belongings, my freedom, my safetly, my health?

Many criminals harm their victims - those victims can't afford their doctor bills, they lose time off work, sometimes lose their jobs - just because the criminal decided to hit them on the head and take the $25 the victim had worked for that day.

Many people lock themselves away at home at night - we used to all parade up and down the front street and the beach and chat and watch the kids play and frolic - now many people just don't go out.

You bet we are working on taking our island back. It will never be the same as the old days, but we can certainly work on improving safety for all.

Are you going to help?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.