Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#35539 03/04/01 02:20 PM
Z
zaclexi Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I'm getting conflicting info on the beaches in Ambergris Caye. I love calm, clear blue/green waters for swimming and would love even better snorkeling right off the beach. Will I find this in Ambergris Caye? I'm getting conflicting info that the water and beaches are great to there's lots of seaweed floating around and you cannot swim in. We're thinking of doing an exchange with our vacation club to Banyan Bay so would appreciate feedback also on the villas there. Also, would Belize be a good choice to take our 8 and 6 year-olds? Any and all info would be welcomed. Thanks.

U
U
We just came back from 11 days on Ambergris Caye and we are long time, avid snorkelers.

The beaches do not lend themselves to swimming or snorkeling. There is a lot of sea grass or turtle grass (whatever they call it) growing right off shore and the beaches just do not lend themselves to swimming or snorkeling in our opinion. Also, off the hotels in San Pedro are the boat docks - not a place I would have wanted to go in the water! I really recommend a place with a swimming pool. Also, we do not have kids but we did wonder what people with kids would have for them to do on A/C, unless your kids were teenagers who would enjoy snorkeling trips or trips to the ruins but I would think young kids would be bored. Others I'm sure have more experience with this but we did not see a lot of kids there.

Z
zaclexi Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Thanks for the reply, Richard and usagirl. Decided that if we go, will be without kids. Still concerned about seagrass on the beaches. Do not want to end up like last summer at Moon Palace in Cancun for 9 days. It was a wonderful hotel but the beach was unswimmable - full of seagrass and not one person in the water. To me, the beach is half my vacation as we love the ocean water. From what I'm hearing, some of the beaches on Ambergris Caye are nice and some not. I don't want to have to have to take a trip everyday when I want to snorkel. Anyone know anything about Banyan Bay?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
i left my kids home too. there isnt anything much for them to do.

look here for beach photos of the north end:
//ambergriscaye.com/jane

no, you cant swim from the beach. you can kayak out & snorkel from where we were. they are very nice beaches to sit on and stare at the seabirds. pretty.

I don't snorkel, but I really enjoyed swimming off both the docks and beaches...I thought the water was clean, and not too much seaweed if you swin out al little. Just watch out for boats.

Grace DeVita
Lots of places clear the turtle grass for swimming off the docks. Many clear areas for swimming.

we take our kids lots, they have a blast each time. they have grown from 12-ish to 18-ish and have loved it all years.

there is not seaweed floating everywhere. the turtle grass is a sparse grass, and it is stuck to the bottom, not floating everywhere.

the dead sea grass that comes on the beach is swept up by every hotel/resort each day so it keeps the beaches nice.

I disagree about nothing for kids to do on AC. My 7 & 10 year old had a wonderful time,
snorkeling, swimming, shopping and riding the golf cart. They even went to see Barefoot Skinny. I think its a great place for kids.

I agree with Marty et al that many if not most kids like Ambergris Caye. Mine have been all over Belize and think San Pedro is cool. I guess if your kids like to hang at malls and eat nothing but McDonalds' fries, they wouldn't like Ambergris.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
L
L
We stayed at Banyan Bay in January for a week and had a spectacular time! We had a beach front unit and went swimming in the ocean everyday, though not much to see snorkeling. The unit next to us was a family with an 8 & 11 yr old and they seemed to have a great time. The pool at Banyan Bay was one of the best on the island. They also have a dive shop that can arrange any kind of trip you want to do - snorkeling, Mayan tours, sailing, etc. I think it's a great place for kids - they all love riding around in the golf carts, snorkeling, sailing and the beach barbecues! We found Ambergris Caye to be very safe and friendly and can't wait to return next year. Hope this helps you with your decision.

Lainie
M
M
We went to AC last September for a week, our first visit of many,we are sure.Plan to go back this September.A beautiful beach is one of our top priorties as well.We have also been to the Moon Palace and were disappointed with their beach.If you are looking for the great beaches of Cancun or Playa del Carmen, they are not on AC.We knew this prior to going,and went more for the experience of the town,people, etc than the beaches.We also made sure we stayed at a hotel with a pool,as we knew the beaches were not that great.We vacation twice a year, so we go somewhere with great beaches in January or February. We love AC,and think your children will also. Lots for them to do, and it is very safe..the most friendly people EVER! We don't dive, snorkel or tour..we just go to swim,read, sun,and veg. We did swim off the docks, as mentioned, and the water is wonderful. I'm sure there are areas where you can just "walk in the water", but you couldn't where we were..too many boats and retaining walls. Just depends on what you are looking for, but loving a wonderful beach as I do, if that is a biggie for you, AC is not it. However, our trip in January was to Punta Cana, which has the most beautiful beach I have ever seen, but the service and food was horrible! So, you never know. Just enjoy!

Mary and Scott
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.