Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rlaboss Offline OP
OP Offline
R
My wife & I are finally at the point in our lives where we can take a 'hot' holiday.
We were told about Ambergris Caye and it looks great.
Now we've been told the Pacific Coast side of Costa Rica is
also great.
Anyone out there been to both spots?
Compare/contrast?
Thank you.

Belize is english speaking, when I was in Costa Rica, very few people spoke or understood english, maybe that has changed. As far as the Pacific side of Costa Rica goes It is beautiful and well worth the trip.

Reality..What a concept!
The pacific side is just amazing, but please avoid Jaco. We were there for a week. We were robbed, stopped for speeding (we weren't) stopped and questioned as drug dealers, got frisked at the bank (that wasn't so bad) and got cussed out because we didn't want to buy a trinket. We were abandoned on an island with no water for a couple of hours after taking a boat ride that was with out a doubt one of the harriest ones I've ever been on. And, I used to live on a boat and have ridden out two hurricains, alone. I think the landscape was so beautiful, But, you are on your own most of the time. The roads aren't very well marked, and anyone who didn't want to help you would pretend they couldn't speak english....the last day we were there we were told by a local that it is an old trick, and if you show a couple of $$s, their english gets really fluent. I don't think I would ever go back to Jaco, but would love to see the rest of this beautiful country.

Last edited by sunandsand; 11/03/09 04:08 PM.

At what age is it determined I am old enough to know better?
P
P
Sounds like visiting France grin

R
rlaboss Offline OP
OP Offline
R
We were looking at the Manuel Antonio area. Looks like it's quite far from Jaco.

I've been going to Costa Rica since 1982 and to Belize since 1991. Costa Rica is wonderful, with amazing diversity in a small country (from 14,000 ft. volcanoes to delightful places to stay on both the Pacific and Atlantic coasts), much more so than Belize. Unfortunately, it's now much more expensive and developed than it used to be when I first went there. Prices are now similar to those in Belize.

Besides some great spots, there are some unpleasant areas on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica, Jaco being one of them.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
O
O
Lived in Costa Rica, moving to Belize,{'hot'holiday} as heat from the Sun it's south way, as heat from the fun see you on the reef, you better Belize it!

Life is simply marvulus, and making new is fun. Learning curve is round to the center,Bacochie
Love them both -- very different. Climate and culture are significantly different. Volcanos or Mayan ruins -- hmmmm.

Life's too short -- do em both!

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
My attitude is that while I may be more comfortable in countries where English is spoken more often/freely/known and/or understood, it is not the responsibility of the people from another country to have to learn English, just for my comfort as a traveller. I am a visitor to their country, ergo, the onus is on me.

After all, how many languages do North Americans go out of their way to learn so that we may be more able to help tourists from non-English speaking countries that visit us?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

N
N
Or like visiting Quebec (not wanting to speak English).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.