Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#356840 - 11/03/09 06:44 PM UK Citizen - Extending visa after 6 months??
WildThing Offline

I am a UK citizen, planning on an extended trip to Belize and potentially hoping to extend a stay beyond 6 months. My partner and I are 42/43 years and are looking to Belize as somewhere to 'semi-retire'. The retirement program only seems to be open to those "45 and over" - so we were hoping to be able to extend our stay until we can qualify for the program.

We are trying to make sense of the visa regulations. It seems we get a 30 day visa on entry and then can renew monthly for $BZ25 but only for up to 6 months. We can only apply for residency after living there for one year.

I am just a little confused how we manage one year residency when we can only renew our visa for up to 6 months?? If we leave after 6 months ( and say go the the States for a visit) and then return to Belize......how do we then qualify for residency? Does a break in the year not count?

Any help to make sense of visa and residency regulations would be much appreciated! Thanks!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world shall know peace."

#356848 - 11/03/09 07:16 PM Re: UK Citizen - Extending visa after 6 months?? [Re: WildThing]
Amanda Syme Offline
After 6 months you go over the border to Mexico or Guatemala overnight, upon your return you can have a visa for 1 month then keep renewing for a total of 6 months again.

If you plan to stay, you can probably get away with applying for residency after your first 6 month anniversary.

#356850 - 11/03/09 07:21 PM Re: UK Citizen - Extending visa after 6 months?? [Re: Amanda Syme]
SimonB Offline
You are allowed to be out of the country for a total of no more than 14 days in a calendar year to be elligible for residency.

#356853 - 11/03/09 07:43 PM Re: UK Citizen - Extending visa after 6 months?? [Re: SimonB]
MisterB266 Offline
As UK citizens on arrival, your passport will be stamped allowing you to stay 30 days. After that, you can go to the nearest immigration office for an extension of another 30 days. I think the current fees for extensions are BZ$50 for the first 6 months, and BZ$100 thereafter.

After 12 months of being in Belize, immigration may say that you have to leave the country, and re-enter. I said I was applying for permanent residency, and did not have to leave the country. I continued with the monthly extensions right up until my PR was final, and never left Belize. If things have changed, all you have to do is visit Chetumal - it's a nice place, you might want to stay a weekend.

There is a "List of Requirements" for applicants seeking PR. On the bottom of the list, there is a statement, "Leaving the country for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days at any one time disqualifies the applicant". You should confirm this sometime when you're at immigration.

#356855 - 11/03/09 08:05 PM Re: UK Citizen - Extending visa after 6 months?? [Re: MisterB266]
WildThing Offline
Hi there

Thank you all for the very clear information, this has certainly clarified our understanding.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world shall know peace."

#356866 - 11/03/09 09:39 PM Re: UK Citizen - Extending visa after 6 months?? [Re: WildThing]
scubawalk Offline
If you have to leave for business or medical reasons, you can get an exemption to the 1 year requirement. Also, since a lot of countries just scan your passport, you need to keep your airline receipts so you can prove that you where here the whole time. You won't have the stamps in your passport to prove when you arrived and left. Been there and done that.

This program is for persons who have resided in Belize for one year and have not left the country for more than 14 days at any one time. If you have left the country for more than permitted, the application will not be accepted, and you will need to start the process over.
Documents and Application
1. Application Form
2. Passport Copy of all Pages along with Original Passport
3. 3 Recent Passport Photographs
4. Authentic/Original Police Record in Belize for applicant, wife and children 16 years and older.
5. Medical Examination (Get Form) including original HIV and VDRL Test Results (Must be done in Belize)
6. Birth Certificate (Original and Copy)
7. Marriage Certificate (Original and Copy)
8. Current Work Permit (Original and Copy)
9. Recent Belize Income Tax Return (Personal and Company)
10. Sworn Declaration of Support of Wife/Husband and children
11. If Husband or wife and children are to be included, they will require # 2 - 6.

Other documents required

12. Monthly Returns to Sales Tax, Business Tax and Social Security
13. List of Company's Assets and Monthly Expenses
14. Recent Business/Personal Bank Statements
15. Employee Information Sheet
16. Recent Business Balance Sheet and Profit & Loss Statements
17. Company Documents and recently filed Annual Report
18. Evidence you & your family are legally in the country, by proof of extended time of stay or other documentation.
19. Title of Land or Lease of Land Property (if applicable)
20. Photocopies with Original Documents (Originals will be returned)

General Information

Valid Passport
Meet twice with an Immigration Officer for the Application Interview
All family members must attend the interviews
All documents must be completed before applying
You must not leave the country for more than 14 days
Your company must be operating in Belize
Residency Fees
Application Processing Fees BZ $ 3,000.00
Estimated Out of Pocket Expenses / Miscellaneous,
Including trips to Belmopan, telephone, fax, e-mail, photocopy, postage stamp, courier and other office supplies BZ $ 400.00
Sales Tax ( 9% of $3,400.00) BZ $ 306.00
TOTAL DUE BZ $ 3,706.00

Government Fees to be paid depends on Applicants Nationality BZ $1,250 - 3,000
Plus Cost of Permanent Residence Card BZ $125.00 per person
"Just another Day in Paradise"

#357017 - 11/05/09 12:29 PM Re: UK Citizen - Extending visa after 6 months?? [Re: scubawalk]
Nick Barton Offline
This may be stating the 'bleeding' obvious but the terms of the QRP (retirement plan) are different and we have signed up for that several years ago as we see it being more flexible for us, who are not going to be working in Belize.

#357086 - 11/06/09 02:41 AM Re: UK Citizen - Extending visa after 6 months?? [Re: Nick Barton]
WildThing Offline
Does anyone know if you can apply for the QRP before being the age of 45? My partner is 43, and we are considering the QRP as we do not intend to work in Belize.

#357088 - 11/06/09 04:19 AM Re: UK Citizen - Extending visa after 6 months?? [Re: WildThing]
Nick Barton Offline
I dont beleive you can but try emailing Romy Haylock at the BTB because she manages the QRP programme and is helpful. romy@travelbelize.org

#357111 - 11/06/09 12:05 PM Re: UK Citizen - Extending visa after 6 months?? [Re: Nick Barton]
WildThing Offline
Okay. Thanks Nick!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Mike Campbell, wade the gringo, Shyboy, 1 invisible), 49 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,724 Topics
461,271 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.