Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#356886 - 11/04/09 12:53 PM Moving to Island in january, should i ship a crate
A C Offline
Im going to need a nice tv (love movies), a 4 wheeler (living far north from town), and a bike. Does anyone have experience shipping big items like this. Im told I can get a "pallet" in a container. Anyone know details? I assume it would be much cheaper to buy the stuff up here and ship, but then again I have no idea what freight shipping costs.

Anyone done this? Company names? Price ball parks?

Thank you!

AC

#356888 - 11/04/09 01:41 PM Re: Moving to Island in january, should i ship a crate [Re: A C]
Tim Callanan Offline
check this link, it is a good start . You can get a 4 wheeler in the city, Yamaha dealer .Good luck shipping to BZ

Edited by Tim Callanan (11/04/09 07:33 PM)

#356893 - 11/04/09 02:44 PM Re: Moving to Island in january, should i ship a crate [Re: Tim Callanan]
JMR Offline
Salinas forwarding in Houston has done well for me before. You can get their phone off the web and ask them about prices. I would seriously check into licensing and permit for a 4 wheeler before bringing one in. You may cause yourself lots of problems. Bring in a good beach cruiser from the states. Most of the bikes here are cheap and crappy.

#356934 - 11/04/09 07:12 PM Re: Moving to Island in january, should i ship a crate [Re: JMR]
TravelinMan1 Offline
In most instances the prices will be about the same but in the end by getting it in the States you will get exactly what you want.

The duties on items will vary so make sure you save all the receipts. I use a local customs broker to clear the stuff and have a forwarder in Miami that receives it and then ships weekly to Belize.

Costs are based on cubic footage and weight so it is not possible to give you a price.

My broker here in Belize is Hector Romero 501-667-5066 and I use Caribe trans for the shipping here in Belize. They have always done a good job.

#356939 - 11/04/09 09:12 PM Re: Moving to Island in january, should i ship a crate [Re: TravelinMan1]
Bing Crosby Offline
Ask Mommy and Daddy, maybe they will ship it for you.

#356949 - 11/05/09 12:14 AM Re: Moving to Island in january, should i ship a crate [Re: Bing Crosby]
beachbumin Offline
As to the beach cruiser, try to find one that is mostly aluminum or alloy instead of steel. The Jamis Boss line is one to look at.

#357087 - 11/06/09 09:42 AM Re: Moving to Island in january, should i ship a crate [Re: Bing Crosby]
A C Offline
Originally Posted By: Bing Crosby
Ask Mommy and Daddy, maybe they will ship it for you.

even if they could afford to buy/get me anything I wouldnt ask. thanks though asshat

AC

#357089 - 11/06/09 01:09 PM Re: Moving to Island in january, should i ship a crate [Re: A C]
catdance62 Offline
i have a question: if you are bringing in used items, how do they determine the price? (used sheets, towels)

#357090 - 11/06/09 01:44 PM Re: Moving to Island in january, should i ship a crate [Re: catdance62]
Diane Campbell Offline
To bring a land-vehicle onto the island you need prior permission from the Traffic Committee. Don't make the mistake of buying and shipping something and then not being able to bring it on the island. To get permission you will need to be a resident, and the kind and size of vehicle will need pre-approval as well. Much better for you to come down, get yourself settled and then address the vehicle issue. If you personally are not allowed to import a vehicle then you can probably make arrangements with somebody who has one on island already.
When you buy and ship there's no way you can realize the benefits of any warranties. That is another reason to try to buy here.
The other thing is that generally (not always, but usually) the things you buy here are things you can get fixed here (parts etc).
If what you want is already here I'd say buy it here - depending on the item you might even save money doing so.

#357096 - 11/06/09 02:57 PM Re: Moving to Island in january, should i ship a crate [Re: Diane Campbell]
lovey and thurston Offline
We will be replacing out present vehicle and will sell the one we have. It is a Pioneer Club Car 1200. Seven years old and well maintained. Aluminum frame and automatic tilt for the back bed. A very sturdy vehicle for the bad weather roads. If you are interested PM us and we can try to give you a time frame when our new replacement will arrive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.