Sponsors of CODICADER athletes take center stage

The students who competed in the CODICADER games in Costa Rica were awarded earlier this week, and today the sponsors took the spotlight. The National Secondary School Sports Association (NSSSA) handed out certificates of appreciation to the organizations that made it possible for one hundred and three Belizean athletes to participate in the competition. While they did not bring home any medals, NSSSA President Deon Sutherland says training and continued sponsorship should bring improvement in future sporting events. We spoke to Sutherland at this morning’s award ceremony at the City Center.

Deon Sutherland, President, NSSSA

“Today we had an award ceremony recognizing our sponsors; schools and businesses that assisted us in getting to and from Costa Rica for the Central American Scholars games that was held in September.”

Delahnie Bain

“When it comes to sports, the athletes are usually in the forefront. Why did you feel it was important to award the sponsors as well?”

Deon Sutherland

“Well, without the sponsors the athletes don’t get to go anywhere. As much as they perform well, as much as they practice, but if we don’t have the necessary base; the funding and all that in place then we cannot move.”

Delahnie Bain

“How many sponsors did you have for the students going to the CODICADER games?”

Deon Sutherland

“We had a total of thirty-two sponsors; some were minor and some were major.”

Delahnie Bain

“When it comes to the games themselves, a lot of people were not so pleased with the results. What is your take on that?”

Deon Sutherland

“My number one thing with that is that these games are years ahead of us. This is the fourteenth year and we have only participated for three years. So I don’t feel a bit influenced or shaken by the results. I think as we continue to participate, definitely we will get better.”

Delahnie Bain

“What do you think it is that we need to really bolster our students in sports?”

Deon Sutherland

“I think the major thing is the coaching and that goes all around. We don’t have enough and we don’t have enough qualified coaches.”

At this morning’s award ceremony, the NSSSA also launched its sponsorship drive for the CODICADER games 2010.

http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_detail_story.php?story_id=25776