Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
SimonB #358062 11/16/09 11:41 AM
Thanks Simon for reminding us to get the facts before we react.
The great tragedy of a loss of life will be painfully compounded if this turns into a game of spin and speculation.

amen. leave it alone folks. let some time go by.

Marty #358077 11/16/09 04:22 PM
S
S
5 MPH with running lights MAX AFTER SUNDOWN hOW SIMPLE COULD IT BE ?

SimonB #358079 11/16/09 04:57 PM
I have jumped to no conclusions.

Captain One Iron
SimonB #358080 11/16/09 04:59 PM
Well, it has been confirmed that people are dead.

Captain One Iron
Update on Boat Accident

The San Pedro Sun can confirm that the name of the person who lost his life in the tragic boat accident last night is Cesar Scott.

Cesar Adolfo Scott, 33.

He is originally from the Cayo District and had recently started working at Sue�o Del Mar.

The other seriously injured person is 42-year-old Antonio Tepaz, boat captain of Sue�o Del Mar.

Inside the Coastal Xpress boat were reportedly 5 passengers and 1 boat captain, identified as Luis Alberto Paz. All 5 passengers and boat captain were treated at various clinics on the island and subsequently released. Among the 5 passengers, a female US National sustained various degrees of (minor) injuries to her head, arm and legs. She chose to seek further medical attention at a private clinic after being released from the PolyClinic.

Originally Posted by snowbird6858
5 MPH with running lights MAX AFTER SUNDOWN hOW SIMPLE COULD IT BE ?

Obviously not that simple. In perspective the boats on this island generally travel less than 30 miles an hour. How fast do you drive your car at night? Tranquility Bay Resort and Sueno Del Mar are 12 miles north of San Pedro, at 5 miles an hour that turns the half hour ride into two and a half hours.

This was a tragic accident and hopefully we can figure out what really happened so that it is not repeated. The two boat captains are both good captains and good at their jobs. Both Captains are experienced and mature. I have never witnessed either company involved running a boat after dusk without lights. Cesar Scott applied for a job here at Tranquility Bay Resort and was a well spoken respectable man. Our Condolences go out to his family and friends as well as the other individuals injured in the accident.

Carlos

I received a call from an injured passenger on the Costal Xpress boat at 6:43 pm just minutes after the collision. One Athletic Trainer, one Registered Nurse and one Paramedic (all US citizens) responded with oxygen and medical supplies and arrived on scene of the accident by 6:50 pm. Island Ferry also arrived and provided a back board and neck brace that was used for one person.

Local doctors were notified around 6:49 pm and ready to receive the injured when they arrived back to the Amigos Del Mar pier.

I would be interested to have contact information for ACER and how to be involved.

vondo #358087 11/16/09 07:59 PM
It was a tragic event and I am deeply saddened and shocked. Our prayers go out to all involved.

It a situation where SECONDS count, we would much rather go and not be needed, then not go and be needed.

I invested in a local sim car for my phone, for the month I'll be on the island, just in case. (PM me for my direct number, the ACER number is a better choice for emergencies)

But let me back up a bit. My first visit was almost 4 years ago. At that time I investigated the government run ems service on the island and found NONE.

Further investigation revealed ACER, a 100% volunteer organization assisted by Island Ferry.
I aligned myself with them and have been assisting them ever since.
I have been working with ACER to help publicize the team and the response capabilities. I created a logo for the team and donated it to them.

I have created:

A web presence www.acerbelize.blogspot.com

A Friends and Family tracking web presence that was used extensively during the hurricane a few years ago ( www.acerfriends.blogspot.com

A twitter site for both ACER http://twitter.com/acerbelize and ACERFRIENDS http://twitter.com/acerfriends

Collection, Purchase and Delivery of Medical supplies and equipment both in 2008 and even more in 2009.

Teaching CPR and First Aid classes
-
So, where are we at today:

Still trying to increase awareness of the team (for ANY Medical related Emergency call ACER at Island Ferry (226-3231) Island Ferry is the command center and they will send help, but someone has to call them.

Increase the number of active team members call ACER @ at Island Ferry (226-3231) or [email protected]

Collect additional funds, supplies and purchase equipment (Donate via paypal [email protected]

Questions, PM me, or email me [email protected]

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
I have been reminded that I met Cesar a few years back when he was bartending at a resort in Placencia. This is very sad news. He was a very personable guy. LaurieMar and I had a great time keeping him entertained (and vice versa). Very sad.

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.