Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#358219 - 11/19/09 12:44 AM Dog Lovers - warning
ScubaLdy Online   embarrased
If you have a dog ... PLEASE read
this and send it on. If you don't
have a dog, please pass along
to friends who do.
I did check it out on SNOPES and this is true
Written by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , OH

This week I had the first case in history of raisin
toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was
a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix
that ate half a canister of raisins sometime
between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He
started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking
about 1 AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't
call my emergency service until 7 AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND
grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't
seen any formal paper on the subject. We
had her bring the dog in immediately. In the
meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet,
and the doctor there was like me - had heard
something about it, but... Anyway, we
contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison
Control Center and they said to give IV fluids
at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the
kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.
The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was
already at 32 (normal less than 27) and
creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal).
Both are monitors of kidney function in the
bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and
started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values
at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine
over 7 with no urine production after a liter of
fluids. At that point I felt the dog was in acute
renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a
urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight
as well as overnight care.
He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet
and his renal values continued to increase
daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting
medications and they still couldn't control his
vomiting. Today his urine output decreased
again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was
at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his
blood pressure, which had been staying around
150, skyrocketed to 220 ... He continued to vomit
and the owners elected to Euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners
who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please
alert everyone you know who has a dog of this
very serious risk.

Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could
be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes
or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any
exposure should give rise to immediate concern.
Onions, chocolate, cocoa, avocadoes and macadamia nuts can
be fatal, too.


Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends
who do. This is worth passing on to them.
Confirmation from Snopes about the above .....
http://www.snopes. com/critters/ crusader/ raisins.asp
_________________________
Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Top
#358222 - 11/19/09 01:08 AM Re: Dog Lovers - warning [Re: ScubaLdy]
collyk Offline
It is very good that you raised this point scubalady. There are so many toxins that can affect our pets that seem perfectly innocent to us. Chocolate is usually the most commonly discussed but it is important for dog owners to be alert to things that could potentially kill their dogs. This is an excellent list compiled by a veterinary surgeon poisonous to dogs

Some dog owners may be surprised at some of the items listed here.
_________________________
www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography


Top
#358258 - 11/19/09 03:03 PM Re: Dog Lovers - warning [Re: collyk]
Marty Offline

POISONOUS TO DOGS

PLANTS, poisonous if eaten.

Alfalfa (in quantity), Aloe vera, Amaryllis, Apple (seeds), Apricot (stone), Asparagus Fern, Autumn Crocus, Azalea, Baby’s Breath, Bird of Paradise, Box,Caladium, Calla Lily, Castor Bean, Ceriman, Cherry (seeds and wilting leaves), Christmas Rose, Cineraria, Clematis, Cordatum, Corn Plant, Croton, Cuban Laurel, Cyclamen, Daffodil, Devil’s Ivy, Dieffenbachia, Dracaena, Dragon Tree, Elephants Ears, Emerald Fern, Foxglove, Geranium, Indian Rubber Plant, Ivy, Kalanchoe, Lily of the Valley, Lillies, Philodendron, MotherinLaws Tongue, Marijuana, Mistletoe, Morning Glory, Narcissus, Nephytis, Nightshade, Oleander, Onion, Peach (wilting leaves and stone),Pencil Cactus, Plumosa Fern, Poinsettia, Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Pothos, Potato Plant, Primrose, Rhododendron, Swiss Cheese Plant, Tomato Plant (Green fruit, stems and leaves), Weeping Fig, Wisteria,Yew

FOODS, poisonous if eaten

Chocolate (theobromine is culprit) this includes milk chocolate, dark chocolate, drinking chocolate, cooking chocolate. The higher the cocoa solid content the less needed to cause poisoning, so generally dark chocolate is worse than milk chocolate.100 - 150 m.g. of chocolate per k.g. of body weight is a toxic dose.

Walnuts and macadamia nuts
Onions and garlic - a whole onion is a poisonous quantity
Turkey skin - this causes severe pancreatitis
Green or sprouting potato skins -due to solanum alkaloids. Freshly prepared and cooked potatoes are not poisonous.
Avocados - skin, flesh, and stone
Apricot – Stone
Apple – Seeds
Cherry – Seeds
Peach - Stone
Grapes and raisins - if eaten in a large quantity
Fungi - mushrooms that are poisonous to humans are also toxic to dogs.
Alcohol Tea and Coffee - containing caffeine

HOUSEHOLD ITEMS, poisonous if eaten or otherwise inhaled

Antifreeze, Aspirin, Bleach, Boric Acid, Brake Fluid, Cleaning Fluids, Deodorants, Deodorisers, Detergents, Disinfectants, Drain Cleaner, Dye, Fungicides, Furniture Polish, Hair colourings, Herbicides, Insecticides, Kerosene, Laxatives, Lead, Matches, Metal Polish, Moth Balls, Petrol, Nail Varnish and Remover, Paint and Remover, Perming solutions, Phenol, Rat poison, Rubbing Alcohol, Shoe Polish, Sleeping Pills, Soap, Suntan lotions, Tar, Tinsel, Turpentine, Woodstains.

Also please note that nicotine patches are toxic and so is nicotine chewing gum. 10mg per 1kg is a toxic dose.

Also £2 coins and 2 EURO coins are toxic due to the nickel content.

Always contact the surgery if your dog has eaten human medication of any kind or another animal’s medication.

WHAT TO DO IN THE CASE OF POISONING

Contact the surgery for immediate advice. Making the dog vomit is sometimes the best thing to do but not in all cases. Bring your dog to the surgery and also bring the poisonous substance/container. We need specific details from the labeling to determine the course of action needed. It is also helpful to know the quantity consumed. Do not wait and see how the animal is, always act immediately even if the dog initially shows no symptoms.


Top
#358276 - 11/19/09 03:59 PM Re: Dog Lovers - warning [Re: Marty]
elbert Offline
Wow and yet they can eat a whole spiney iguana raw and be just fine.
_________________________
The Dive Shops Daily Blog
http://scubalessonsbelize.blogspot.com/

Top

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!


Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Chica Blanca, JED, ScubaLdy), 36 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,193 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM




AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.