Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#358592 11/22/09 04:27 PM
S
Shazam Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'll be visiting Ambergris for the first time in April 2010. I have a few questions. I see there are two airports in Belize City--munincipal and international--which airport should we make reservations for? Also once in Belize City how easy is it to get to Ambergris? By air? boat? and how often do planes / boats leave for Ambergris?---any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

get ready you are in for a fabulous time! Might as well just go from the International BZE (Goldstone) since you'll be flying into there anyway. You go through customs and take a 20 minute flight on a puddle jumper by Tropic Air or Maya Air. This short flight over the reef is just gorgeous...I look forward to it every time!

You could take a taxi from BZE to the municipal for a similar flight but it's not that much cheaper usually.

You could take a water taxi from Belize City to the island (about an hour) but I think the plane ride is a highlight of the trip. Try it at least once!

whoops, the TropicAir flights run every hour during daylight. go to their website to make a reservation. I would leave about 1 hour between arrival at BZE until departure for San Pedro. You have to take your bags thru customs. It really doesn't take that long usually....but just in case your Int'l flight is late getting in.

I've arrived and gotten thru customs and TropicAir put me on an earlier flight....how cool is that! Every extra hour on Ambergris Caye is a blessing!

P
P
Minor point but it's Goldson - The Philip Goldson International Airport.

thanks Phil, you're right

JZB Offline
I like Goldstone. Sounds like a James Bond character. smile

S
Shazam Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all the info! On our "to do" list is a snorkel trip--can you recommend any destinations / outfitters?
We're staying on the north end of Ambergris. Don't think we're interested in the blue hole trip (2hr boat ride)
Also if you want to make any recommendations as far as vittles, etc--we're pretty adventuresome--was reading about a zip line tour / float tube trip.
Lastly--We'll be staying about 3mi north of San Pedro. Is it safe to walk after dark from San Pedro to our casa? The resort we're staying at doesn't recommend doing that trip after dark (of course they provide a shuttle for $10 per person--one way-- to and from SP)

Thanks! Mike

Thanks, Mike

3 mi North? Belizean Shores or so? I would take the water taxi back and forth -- convenient. Walking south of town is far easier and better lit for walking at night -- not so much in the north.

In addition to eating at the best restaurants in San Pedro, consider having your kitchen (if you have one) stocked before you arive with essentials so you don't eat-out for each and every meal. Try www.belizegrocery.com for details. The guy who runs this service is wonderful and offers a great service.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
I recommend Alfonso Graniel "L'il Alfonse" for snorkeling Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. He is extremely knowledgable and tons of fun! You may have to take a water taxi into town to meet up with him? It's a ha;f day tour.
I also loved the catamaran sail to Caye Culker with SEAduced. Very relaxing. 2 snorkel stops (same spots as above). Full day. They have snacks, rum punch, Belikins on board. You have lunch in Caye Caulker and about an hour after to look around. You can swim at the Split. Then sail back. Lovely trip!

Lagniappe Provisioning with Simon. Worth it! Everything is fresh and you don't have to shop.

catamaran to Caulker. I seem to remember something about that trip -- hmmmm.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 112 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.