Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#360225 12/05/09 02:49 AM
L
OP Offline
L
After my stay in Punta Gorda, I arrived in Placencia via the Hokey Pokey water taxi. You take it from Independence across the lagoon. Beautiful ride through mangroves and then open lagoon.

I arrived the Saturday before Thanksgiving and immediately upon arrival, I knew that I should stay there longer than the 2 nights I allowed on my trip. It had been 5 years since my last visit and I was anxious to go take a look see. The first time I was there, I stayed way out near Maya Beach. This time, I stayed right in Placencia Village at the Sea Spray, with a small oceanfront room, private balcony and bathroom for $50 a night and mere footsteps to the Caribbean Sea. It was nothing less than beautiful, total tranquilo.

After spending the last 10 years in Belize during Thanksgiving week, I was stunned at the lack of people. I mentioned in another post that there were perhaps 10 people on the beach. Did I mind? NOT! But, the locals need the business in these rough economic times, so if you are inclined to try out a laid back beach destination (which many claim to have the best beaches in Belize), much less expensive than SP, this is your place. You will not be disappointed. It scores a 10 for perfect beaches. In fact, I am considering returning to Belize soon and bee-lining it right to Placencia.

Placencia boasts this great sidewalk that winds through the village proper. Homes, shops, restaurants, small hotels, bars are lined along each side of the sidewalk.

My first order of business after checking into my room was a trip to the small tienda to get ice, rum, Belikins and some supplies for my small fridge. Armed with a freshly made rum punch, I immediately hit the beach to get some sun and remained there for a couple of hours, listening to music on my Walkman. My head swiveled back and forth, taking in all the beauty. DeTatch Restaurant is right next door to SeaSpray and has a great menu. The conch fritters I had for lunch were excellent.

That evening, we headed to Barefoot Bar and I meet some of my friend's friends, listened to a great local band and watched the local crowd. Lots of good dancing going on. Later we walked down to the end of town to a Chinese takeout place. On the way back, a huge black and red haired trantula decided to make its way right across the road in front of me. Yikes, scared me, but I got a good pic of the critter.

Sunday morning I woke early and did a walkabout all the way to the edge of town. I did this several times and estimated my walk was about 2 miles, great exercise and friendly locals to talk to all along the way.

I had a craving for guacamole, so we got all of the fixings and made a delicious batch in the room. Out to the beach for more sun and swimming. A lot of doing nothing, which I can be very good at when I can!

Yoli's is the place to be on Sunday afternoons. It is a beautiful walk, almost out to the end of the point. What a great place, right over the water. Lots of people with live music. Sat there for several hours listening to mandolins, violins and guitars. Beware, the drinks are strong! Ended up out on their dock under a star studded sky, laughing and carrying on with a bunch of people having too much fun.

Monday morning and I treated myself to fry jacks, scrambled eggs and beans on the beach. I found the coolest gift shop (Sunova Beach gift shop) and bought some goodies to bring home. Too soon, it was time to leave to the airport to make my way over to SP. I will be back Placencia!

Placencia is a favorite of mine too smile

OK, you convienced me. I't putting it my "to vist" list!!!!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
azbob #360373 12/06/09 11:18 AM
^ smile

NYgal #360376 12/06/09 11:32 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Yes, AZbob, do your self a favor and book it Danno! I love SP, of course, but having been there so many times, I was so glad I saw some different things this last trip. Probably one of the best trips so far....but they just keep getting better and different each time!

Nice job, Laurie!

And as I have often said, one does not know Belize, until spending time on the mainland.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
klcman #360472 12/07/09 10:30 AM
Good report. Thanks for sharing! The shrimp burritos at De Tatch are awesome too!

We also loved Placencia!!! Drove down from BC and it was a beautiful drive!! We atayed in Maya Beach but we had a car so it was easy to get back and forth, next time we will fly in and stay right in Placencia.

I went to Placencia many years ago, after I was widowed. Was raped and ripped-off. That's all I have to say for the place.
I am looking for a site where single people meet up and travel around Belize.
Anyone know of any forum for this?

L
OP Offline
L
Thank you, thank you very much for the positive "addendum" to my trip report. Why don't you try posting your inquiry in an appropriate section on the board, like the travel section. Or better yet, do an internet search....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.