Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
K
Hey seashell,

I'm from Houston, and one of my crew is from Calgary, so.....

But we took the advice of our company colleagues. Perhaps a good concierge will point you to a better location than we were.

The wine, on the other hand, was fantastic!!

Well, then, no worries, my glass is half full! smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

L
L
Good place to eat is Cabana Los Lelos in Buenos Aires. Fabulous beef.

R.B. Mernitz
Thanks for the tip, lovey and thurston.

I was doing some guide book reading last night, and from what I could gather, some of the small quaint street and less expensive places, might be serving cheaper cuts whilst the "finer" restaurants will be serving the "finer" cuts. Of course, I won't know my taste on this until after the trip. smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Bwana Offline OP
OP Offline
Hmmmm? Still no reply from the BAHA. I emailed every email address I could find and never did get an email back. Does anyone out there know anyone that works at the BAHA, or the ultra secret "James Bond" like email address for those fine folks? If I could get some help, it would indeed be worth a tasty Belikin or two on my dime.

Many Thanks!

Greg

Last edited by Bwana; 12/18/09 09:22 AM.
you really need to call them and then do follow-up calls.

P
P
Must be desperate for that free Fishing trip.

Bwana Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Phil
Must be desperate for that free Fishing trip.

Free? *Runs off to look for the free cow*

Last edited by Bwana; 12/18/09 10:35 AM.
Bwana Offline OP
OP Offline
Amanda: It looks like that is going to be the route to take. smile

Last edited by Bwana; 12/19/09 10:50 AM.
Bwana Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, here goes��

I'm posting this, so that if anyone wants to bring in any kind of meat in the future, it will save you a lot of grief.

You have to get a "meat permit" from the BAHA. This should be a relatively simple process, but be prepared to keep after them to get it done. I started the process several weeks ago and got it done this week. In theory, it will be waiting for me at customs in Belize City when I get there, if not, I had them send me a copy via email so I could present it when I get there.

In addition to that dance, there has to be evidence of federal inspection of the meat product. Sounds simple right? Not so much. You can't run over to your local grocery store, buy a bunch of steaks and be ok. It either has to be in a package that has the USDA Federal inspection stamp on it, or the meat itself has to be stamped by a federal inspector on the meat with their magic purple ink. Places like Sam's Club, Costco, or grocery stores get their meat from other sources, repackage it and don't have a Federal meat inspector on hand. Their meat is "retail only" and they can't ship it across states lines without the federal inspection status. So in other words, if you go out and buy steaks from any place other than a packing house, you're, pretty much screwed and it would get into the country, period.

The BAHA didn't enlighten me of the federal inspection requirement. I caught it on the permit, two days ago. Oh s#@% oh dear! I still have the steaks from Sam's club, (Future Bar-B-Que) but I had to run down the only Federal inspector in the area, who works at a packing plant and buy steaks from them. The reason, their meat has been inspected by this dude, AKA the meat guru and each package has the "this meat has been inspected by the USDA Federal inspector," on the package.

If you are going to do this, just call around to the various packing plants in your area, until you find one with a Federal inspector and you have that part handled. As far as the BAHA, expect to make several calls, to light a fire under them, to get it done. If you follow those two rules, it's a relatively simple process. Next time I do this, it will be a piece of cake. I wanted to do a follow up to save anyone else a lot of trouble and try to make it easy for you.

On a side note, the good captain better have some honey holes where we can skip rocks off of fish, or one of us may not make it back to shore. *GRIN*

Last edited by Bwana; 02/18/10 09:47 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.