Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#362773 - 12/29/09 12:22 PM "Private" snorkel trips?
brendacamp Offline
My husband and I are divers who will be returning to Ambergris Caye January 13 for our umpteenth visit. This time, however, I cannot dive due to a bulging disk in my neck (surgery is scheduled for February). We would like do some snorkeling at least while we are there but would prefer not to go with the masses and maybe go to some of the out-of-the-way places. Any suggestions on who would be a good snorkel trip provider? Thanks for your help.

#362783 - 12/29/09 05:02 PM Re: "Private" snorkel trips? [Re: brendacamp]
ScubaLdy Offline
My sister was here visiting from Arizona and wanted to do a snorkel trip. Belize Diving adventures took us out and as we approached Hol chan with dozens and dozens of boat already there I asked that we go to Shark & Ray Alley first. There was only one tour boat and the Marine Patrol boat there. Our guide took us to a section of the reef I had never seen before. The sea was very calm, the tide was coming in, the water was clear and I was able to do decent video.

Everyone tends to go to Hol Chan first and are tired by the time they get to Shark & Ray Alley so they tend to stick around the boat interacting with the sharks and rays.

No matter what - you will have a good time.

We smam over some of the most beautiful coral I have ever seen here. There were as many fish as I see at Hol Chan - large schools - and some others I have only seen while SCUBA diving.

By the time we got back to Hol Chan most of the boats were moving on south to Shark & Ray Alley. I wish more operators would do this and spread out the masses of people.

No msyy

#362793 - 12/29/09 07:07 PM Re: "Private" snorkel trips? [Re: ScubaLdy]
CatMo Offline
My .02:

Lil Alphonse. And go to Mexico Rocks and north from there, if you can. Go all day, catch some fish and have a beach BBQ.

#362802 - 12/29/09 09:19 PM Re: "Private" snorkel trips? [Re: brendacamp]
PSUhorty Offline
Originally Posted By: brendacamp
My husband and I are divers who will be returning to Ambergris Caye January 13 for our umpteenth visit. This time, however, I cannot dive due to a bulging disk in my neck (surgery is scheduled for February). We would like do some snorkeling at least while we are there but would prefer not to go with the masses and maybe go to some of the out-of-the-way places. Any suggestions on who would be a good snorkel trip provider? Thanks for your help.

The GF and I snorkeled alone two different ways:
1. We did this knowing that we were only going up there for their ocean kayaks… We took our golf cart up to Captain Morgans, sat in on a 1 hr. presentation on time shares, then had full access to the resort, including their ocean kayak. So, we paddled out to just before the reef, tied off onto a buoy, and dropped in over the side. Excellent snorkeling with not another soul around. One caveat… make sure that when the both of you are snorkeling, you make sure your oars are tidy in the boat. We didn’t. Lost one somewhere in the sea and had to paddle back with one oar… and pay for it. This may not be the best choice for you, but at least it’s an option.

2. We made friends with a private boat captain who used to sit out in front of the Spindrift (not sure if he’s there any longer). Anyways, he took us out alone to snorkel and fish. Can’t remember what we paid him.

#362806 - 12/29/09 09:50 PM Re: "Private" snorkel trips? [Re: PSUhorty]
Casita Folks Offline
When you get there call 602-6657 Rolando ( Rayo, pronounced, Rye Oh )Cesarez.
He is one of the most experienced dive masters on the island and maybe the best cook.
He will take you to any kind of place you would like to go.
Just explain to him what you want to do.
And like some one daid earlier, he can cook for you on the beach, go shelling, snorkling, diving, fishing or what ever.
He is not only a great and very experienced dive master but will also entertain you. Give him a call and tell him the Callaways told you to call. Have a great time.

#362808 - 12/29/09 09:59 PM Re: "Private" snorkel trips? [Re: Casita Folks]
Moose In Belize Offline
PSUhorty, are you a troll for Captain Morgan's? smirk

#362809 - 12/29/09 10:10 PM Re: "Private" snorkel trips? [Re: Moose In Belize]
iluvbelize Offline
CatMo - agreed! it's the perfect day - mexico rocks out at the reef and a beach bbq - never see another soul when we do that one and it is so beautiful, great snorkeling, sunning on the boat...

#362810 - 12/29/09 10:16 PM Re: "Private" snorkel trips? [Re: Moose In Belize]
SP Daily Offline
Originally Posted By: Moose In Belize
PSUhorty, are you a troll for Captain Morgan's? smirk

PSUhorty has been registered here for nearly a year longer than you and has a very good reputation...highly respected. Try working on your own reputation...

#362811 - 12/29/09 10:17 PM Re: "Private" snorkel trips? [Re: Moose In Belize]
champion Offline
Moose, are ya getten gun shy?

#362822 - 12/30/09 01:02 AM Re: "Private" snorkel trips? [Re: brendacamp]
Sirenia Offline
I'm not sure if someone is getting surgery they should be hopping back into a sea kayak...lol...However, I will say it was not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. The BF and I paddled out to Tuffy's and had a grand old time...Best snorkeling I have had in Belize, but you do have to go on a calm day and go with an experienced person, familiar with that neck of the reef...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Loansum-Al K), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,077 Topics
462,353 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.