Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
OP Offline
Thanks very much for the help. I am still exploring this whole issue as I am thinking of building a large house up north and although there is electricity at the site I would prefer to be as self sufficient as possible. Again, thanks to all that commented and especially Sunny Reef. Martin

Captain One Iron
B
B
A couple of years ago an engineer visited the island on holiday and did a study while he was here. He determined the breeze was more than sufficient and sized a single windwill to power the entire island including a factor for increase power requirements due to development.
If I recall it was 300 feet tall with the device being 200 feet in diamater. A 7 knot wind would power the island which is 90 percent of the time. If the breeze is over 7 knot (60% of the time) then sell it to B E L who have to buy it.
Cost 3 million usd plus the land and switchgear

P
P
Still the issue arises - what happens when the wind drops? Do we accept that the lights go out, or do we have a back-up system? What is that?

Also, whats the cost of yearly Repair and Maint.??

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
B
B
It would be in the Grid--the meter would just spin the other way when the wind drops below 7 mph.

What if the local sub-belize govt of A/C (SP city) were to propagate the idea as an alternative power supply to power up A/C as an independant co-op. AC as a whole would have more muscle than any sole owner types. Once the cost is absorbed, the island elec. cost would be more dependable and maybe less cost to the end users on the isle.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
B
B
That was the purpose at the onset.
Hard to get any of the powers to be to get serious about it though. I am afraid it will have to be a private enterprise--then after it has proven itself the Government will nationalize it.
As far as cost savings--If the windmill was made of gold the power would be less expensive than it is now.

OP Offline
So, you are saying that for (probably) less than 4 million US we could pretty much make the island self sufficient and probably pay a dividend to the investors while lowering the cost of electricity on the island? If this is right then I think this would very doable from a financial perspective. The real question of course are the politics but with BEL now being an arm of the government would that make it easier or more difficult?

Captain One Iron
S
S
BEL is not "an arm of the government"

OP Offline
Sorry, I guess I was thinking of the telephone company BTL which I think was just nationalized. So, who does own BEL? Is it Fortis?

Captain One Iron
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.