Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

From a friend in Cayo....

Holy shit!!! EARTHQUAKE! I'm on my third floor computer room and frigging computers are coming off the table. WOOOOOW! 4:14 a.m. Thursday Dec. 31st.

(he was online at this time. writing about something else. when the earthquake hit! this was right in the middle of his message!)

later....

Gustavo on the 2nd floor, below my trading room, said he woke up with the bed jumping around. I was busy trying to save the computers and peaking out of the corner of my eye, to see if the roof would stay on. Then I wondered about my height and the building, but you cannot do anything at the time. You cannot even stand. Silvia said she slept through it on the ground floor.

another friend....

I felt it too.� Jumped out of bed and was halfway to the front door when it stopped.� It also freaked out my cats.

4.8, 4:12 AM, almost due east of Placencia - it's on the USGS site.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2009qwa8.php#details

another friend, in Placencia....

I think it's about the same place as last time. And tell me about scary. I was just drifting back to sleep (after having been woken up by a rambunctious kitten) when it started. I was out of bed and on my feet so fast even I couldn't believe it.

I'm just now settling with the insurance company from the last quake, and will get an estimate on repairs next week. First thought was, oh, no, not again.

That's so co-incidental. Last night I told my little boy that we needed to move his train set away from beside his bed. I told him that if I need to rush and get him in the night because of an earthquake or fire I didn't want to trip on his toys!

Hmm, that might be why my cats were acting a little funny in the middle of the night - I didn't notice the earthquake but the cats were crying a little.

I've been in a bunch of earthquakes - (and don't find them at all fun). Here is some standard Earthquake advice:

When the quake hits - if you are in a building, run for a strong doorway, stand in it and hang on to it until the shaking stops.
If you are outside, get away from things that may fall on you - like broken windows from second stories in buildings etc.

Other things .....
1. keep shoes by your bed, don't sleep naked - you may need to make a run for it. your feet need shoes (debris cuts on feet are not good) and your neighbors don't need to see you naked
2. all the hurricane prep stuff you probably already have is perfect for an earthquake situation - food, water, radio etc.
3. turn off gas bottles immediately after the shaking stops
4. and for a few of the more frisky readers - take down that mirror over your bed

Hey - I lived 45 years in the HEART or earth quake country (SF bay area). Recently the advise to get into a door way changed (We always did this). Now they warn that doorways may collapse (maybe they are not making them as strong?).

Several years ago they started telling us to create a tent for ourselves. ie; if in bed simply roll out and lie beside it (not under it). If the ceiling should cave in it will fall on the bed and the floor just beyond, leaving you in a little "tented" area. The same rule goes for anythig - be up against something that will take the brunt of the falling debris.

The thing about earthquakes are that they are over quickly - almost before you get scared. And, they seem to be happening all over the world - so maybe California is NOT going to fall into the ocean before anyone else. LOL

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.