Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#363012 12/31/09 08:41 PM
L
larryc Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm looking for some practical advice. I'm flying in next week and want to bring a couple of bottles of wine for personal use. In the past going to Mexico many times this is no problem for 2 reasons either they don't care or look.

Do they re-scan your baggage after you land an clear customs and /or do they ask you if you are declaring anything to see if you volunteer the info?

S
S
You have to declare alcohol (I think it specifies on the form), however, you can bring one bottle duty free (most countries allow 2, but not here)

S
S
Just be honest about it when they ask. One is not supposed to bring beer into Belize at all, but I usually do anyways and fess up when asked. Its usually a couple of 750ml bottles of micro. Every single time they allow me through with my beer and they seem to appreciate the honesty. Never had to pay duty. Worst case you pay a small amount to enjoy the extra bottle of wine.

L
larryc Offline OP
OP Offline
L
thanks, i was hoping for that attitude if i'm polite and respectful.

L
L
I always bring a couple of bottles on wine and no one has ever asked or looked.

IMNSHO, people place too much emphasis on this. Unless you have tons of "stuff", simpy navigate to the "nothing to declare" line. Smile, be polite and happy....slide right on through. In all the years I have been coming to BZ, never once have I had an issue.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
You could just slide right through, but as others said you take the chance of getting charged out the wazoo. I always declare what I have and then go into the "To Declare" line (it's never got people in line anyway so it's quicker). They search thoroughly in every bag but they don't hit you that hard on duty.

Take for instance my last pass through customs. I only ended up paying $89BZ for about $2000BZ of stuff I brought in (Clothes, wireless routers, laptop, other electronics, wine, alcohol, cheese, a bunch of other stuff.) Not a bad deal for $89.

P
P
I know people who've been caught trying to smuggle goods in. Innocuous stuff in small quantities for personal use (no, I'm not talking about drugs). All that happened to them was that they were charged the duty they should have paid. They were lucky. In the UK if you're caught in similar circumstances you can be charged three times the duty that was payable, AND have the goods confiscated, AND if you are not yourself British be barred from entering the country on that occasion. That means you're put on a plane back to where you came from at YOUR expense.

All a bit risky for a small potential benefit. Of course, you may get away with it.....

But for a couple of bottles of wine I'd try it, and if I were stopped just plead ignorance. The worst that would probably happen to you is that you'd be charged duty. But beware - don't actually lie to Customs officers. Be misleading perhaps, but if you're asked a direct question give an honest answer. Or they may throw the book at you. They're not after tourists maybe bringing a bit more than their allowance, but if you take them for fools they will understandably react.

D
D
Often it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

If someone going through customs has say two large suitcases (or more) or a sizable "Box" of something, it is advisable to go to the "Things to Declare" line because there is about a 95% chance you WILL be Re-directed to that line by the "Nothing to Declare" line officer.

If you are bringing something you need to declare, it is advisable to go to the declare line on your own, you will be most likley be treated fairly.

Remember, the Customs officers do this for a living every day and have a pretty good idea of what people are doing.

Common sense, and RESPECT will get you through with no problems. maybe a little duty paid , but no problems.

Who needs problems when you are just looking to enjoy your vacation.
smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.