Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#363413 - 01/06/10 12:15 AM Caye Chapel cited as "Great Caribbean Golf Resort"
Marty Offline

Caye Chapel, Belize among ten great Caribbean Golf Resorts

Forget the cold winds and spitting rain of Ballybunion and Bandon Dunes. Golfers who visit the Caribbean are willing to forsake a little history and tradition for a kinder and gentler climate. “Clients who consider the Caribbean are looking for an island golf experience,” said Matthew Diehl, marketing manager for Links Golf Travel [www.linksgolftravel.com]. “They want to play in the jungle, with views of the ocean and the mountains. They want to play along the coast, with palm trees swaying.”Amongst aficionados of golf course design, the Caribbean has not traditionally been viewed as a standout destination. This, simply because the sun and surf that make the islands so appealing on so many levels is hell to pay on turf grass. The challenges of growing and maintaining first-rate playing surfaces have historically discouraged many top-shelf designers and developers from doing adventurous work in the Caribbean. But in the last ten years, this has changed, with the introduction of a new turf hybrid — Seashore Paspalum. “Agronomic advances are making golf more viable on the islands,” said Brian McCallen, acclaimed golf travel writer. “The new hybrids require less than half the pesticides of earlier grasses, are salt tolerant, and can even be irrigated with brackish water. They’re low maintenance, they’re very playable, and their fueling a boom in new, high quality courses.”Among gorgeous golfing destinations, Caye Chapel [www.cayechapel.com] in Belize was chosen as one of the ten best.
Caye Chapel is the name of the island a short flight off the Belizean mainland that the golf course graces; in fact, most of this smallish caye is given over to the track, which moves north and south between saltwater ponds inhabited by tarpon and saltwater crocodiles. (Be VERY careful about retrieving errant shots!) The par-5 16th stretches 623 yards along the west side of the island, offering distant views of Ambergris Caye and the mainland.

Other destinations picked were: Punta Espada at Cap Cana, Dominican Republic, Teeth of the Dog, Casa de Campo, Dominican Republic, Four Seasons – Nevis, and Cinnamon Hill Ocean Course, Rose Hall Resort, Jamaica.
San Pedro Sun

#363436 - 01/06/10 07:27 AM Re: Caye Chapel cited as "Great Caribbean Golf Resort" [Re: Marty]
reaper Offline
If my eyes aren't decieving me, that looks like the late, great, Jerry McDermott about to miss a putt for big $$$'s while being heckled by Chris Aycock and Josh Buetner.

#363445 - 01/06/10 01:18 PM Re: Caye Chapel cited as "Great Caribbean Golf Resort" [Re: reaper]
JMR Offline
I had heard that the course was closed until March. I that true?

#363446 - 01/06/10 01:24 PM Re: Caye Chapel cited as "Great Caribbean Golf Resort" [Re: JMR]
Ernie B Offline
I beleive that is Jerry. I played that course with him in 2000 and he took most of my $$$$

#363455 - 01/06/10 03:15 PM Re: Caye Chapel cited as "Great Caribbean Golf Resort" [Re: Ernie B]
Dane Offline
Owner is afraid we will give him swine flu so he closed to commoners

#363458 - 01/06/10 03:37 PM Re: Caye Chapel cited as "Great Caribbean Golf Res [Re: Dane]
Amanda Syme Offline
Originally Posted By: Dane
Owner is afraid we will give him swine flu so he closed to commoners

What a load of bunk. That is not why the resort is currently closed.

The resort and management are going through some transitioning and the decision was made to shut down the resort for a little while.

#363494 - 01/06/10 09:37 PM Re: Caye Chapel cited as "Great Caribbean Golf Res [Re: Amanda Syme]
champion Offline
Amanda, are they not doing some course improvements, ie. new grasses and such? Or am I wrong on this as an issue?

#363497 - 01/06/10 10:06 PM Re: Caye Chapel cited as "Great Caribbean Golf Res [Re: champion]
elbert Offline
I think they are installing a new water system.
notice how stunted the trees are in the photo below.

Edited by elbert (01/06/10 10:07 PM)

#363498 - 01/06/10 10:10 PM Re: Caye Chapel cited as "Great Caribbean Golf Res [Re: elbert]
champion Offline
HA HA HA HA !!!
That or its now the land of giants

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.