Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
OP Offline
S

Nobody should be "bragging" about charitable giving -- true. But, this article is so bad because it comapares apples to hubcaps.

The American system has never been one in which charitable giving is primarily a public endeavor -- it's a private one here and the U.S. ranks third in the world per capita in private giving from what I can see...

http://www.owen.org/musings/generosity

Any article worth citing would account for all charitable giving instead of the narrow-minded belief that only government can be generous.

I personally know of 5 chruches within 20-minutes drive time of my house that regularly send missions to Haiti with food, medical supplies, construction supplies, school supplies, and offers for sponsorship to attend American schools.

If we stopped being the world's policemen perhaps we could be higher than #12 in the world in total giving per capita. That's still pretty damn good and while nothing to "brag" about, is certainly not something to bash America over either.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
D
D
Quite spending money on wars and killing people and try to keep the people alive. One parachute, one pallet. Air drop sooo much water and food all over the place that no one has to fight for it. Afraid to get it to the people, air drop it. Reaper can run the mission.

Whats your point, jesse? Trying to say Americans are NOT the most giving people on the planet?
WTF?

How generous are "we"? Is that U.S. or Belize? Just wondering.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
P.S. I gave, Jesse. Did you?

P
P
Seems to me military aid by the US (because it's the nearest country capable) is the only possibility for averting a complete catastrophe. Only government intervention can put enough large helicopters there to distribute the supplies that are now absolutely paramount, and without military enforcers on the ground most poor or weak people will never see any of it. Although it's well meaning, I don't see that private contributions will help very much. Law and order has now broken down completely in Port-au-Prince.

Reading the article, I see the number, 92 cents per American to Haiti. Hmmm. How many Americans are there? How many Haitians are there? Where did (does) all that money go?

Granted, the current circumstances are extraordinary, and we should do all we can to assist them at this time.

N
N
In Canada the government has promised money, supplies and people etc to help but has also offered to match the amount of money Canadians give privately (of course that too is our money). Churches, aid agencies, corporations even sachools are collecting cash to send down. IMO Haiti has had a difficult history. As I remember it was the first self governed state made up of freed slaves from the French colonies and looking at other comparable Caribbean countries it has not developed as well. All the more reason to share our good fortune in an time of extreme need.

It sad all the way around and I'm sure jesse meant the U.S. when we said "we." This is lost on jesse sometimes, but I think Bobber and I are capable of understanding this smile

The numbers are obviously pre-earthquake that he states. Should a huge natural disaster hit Belize -- heaven forbid -- those like jesse would never count the huge amount of aid in the form of untracked tourist dollars and donations evidenced by the years worth of posts on this board.

Regardless, now is the time to give people, and if you haven't already, please consider it. Peter is right also. Pray that all the aid gets to those in need and that the general peace prevails so suffering isn't compounded by crimes of necessity against those unable to defend themselves. It breaks my heart to see each and every picture.

I do respect jesse and know that we agree now is the time for action.

"We" are so very blessed and should never forget that.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.