Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#365778 01/31/10 03:24 PM
OP Offline
I am just curious if anyone has explored the idea of establishing a equestrian facility on the island. I know there is likely lots of problems with that but I personally think it would make a great addition to our various offerings to the tourists. I am concerned about how you would feed the animals and if they would present a problem for the other tourist facilities. I don't know if they would be an ecological problem or not. Again, I would welcome any information or thoughts that any of you may have.

Captain One Iron
CaptOneIron #365780 01/31/10 03:35 PM
Didn't there use to be somebody on the island who offered horseback riding?

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
S
S
There used to be one horse and carriage but they were asked to leave the island as the horse was underfed. There is no decent grazing area. Land and the cost of importing feed would be your biggest hurdle.

SimonB #365784 01/31/10 03:52 PM
S
S
Long before the horse and carriage there was a horseback riding tour setup but those horses were starved for good feed and also resorts complained about the droppings left on their beaches. Barry Bowen finally sent the horses to Gallon Jug for rehab.

SP Daily #365804 01/31/10 08:13 PM
What I'm recalling is what Jesse mentioned, though I didn't remember Bowen sending the horses to Gallon Jug for rehabilitation.

I imagine there would be some demand for a small equestrian center on North Ambergris, riding on the beaches and all, as long as the owner had the land and the facilities to house the horses and the money to provide good care and bring in adequate feed. But I wouldn't think it would be a big money maker, any more than horseback riding is a big money maker anywhere.

Lots of costs and not much revenue. Probably better to rent golf carts at US$65 a day.

--Lan Sluder

OP Offline
Thank you all for your input. Not sure it is doable and I knew there wouldn't be a big return. Probably some criollo's would do pretty well as they are very sturdy and will eat most anything. I would think that riding on the beach would have to be restricted to areas where there are not human habitations and that the wranglers would have to pick up the any droppings. The real question would be what do you think people would pay for a 2-3 hour ride? I am just going to keep thinking about it. I have a friend that could keep the horses in Mexico during the offseason and I don't think the transportation costs would be too great. OK, just basically thinking out loud. Thanks again to everyone.

Captain One Iron
CaptOneIron #365827 02/01/10 09:40 AM
A
A
Several stables on the main land. They have some very nice horses and provide great tours. Not like you could gallop thur the surf due to our beach make up. My thoughts are that if it was profitable they would be on AC. Besides if don't get the motorized vehicles off the beach they could get run over. Not trying to stir the pot just a thought.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.