Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#366362 - 02/05/10 06:08 PM Islam is a kind, caring religion
Peter Jones Offline

#366365 - 02/05/10 06:15 PM Re: Islam is a kind, caring religion [Re: Peter Jones]
Amanda Syme Offline
Point of interest - nowhere in this story is there a mention of Islam.

#366406 - 02/05/10 07:51 PM Re: Islam is a kind, caring religion [Re: Amanda Syme]
Amanda Syme Offline
FYI

"But while it is true that most such killings are carried out in conservative Muslim communities, the practice is linked more to the customs of this region of Turkey, than to religious belief. The family will try to pretend that she never existed."

#366414 - 02/05/10 08:39 PM Re: Islam is a kind, caring religion [Re: Amanda Syme]
mountain Larry Offline
I agree with Amanda, we must be carful with what brush we paint our picture with.

#366419 - 02/05/10 08:51 PM Re: Islam is a kind, caring religion [Re: mountain Larry]
captjeff Offline
THESE PEOPLE ARE SICK MOTHER F**KERS..AND SHOULD BE BOILED IN OIL.. YOU HAVE TO BE ONE SICK PERSON TO KILL YOUR CHILD ..

#366431 - 02/05/10 09:15 PM Re: Islam is a kind, caring religion [Re: captjeff]
Peter Jones Offline
True Amanda, but these things only seem to happen in Muslim communities. We've had too many "honour" killings in Britain and other European countries, and always associated with the Muslim communities there.

#366436 - 02/05/10 09:23 PM Re: Islam is a kind, caring religion [Re: Peter Jones]
seashell Offline
What a load of crap. Up here, a couple of days ago, an Australian woman killed her two small children by drowning them in the bathtub. She was in a custody dispute with her Canadian husband. No Muslim/Islam involvement. It's a sad and sorry state of affairs, that's true. There are many sad and sorry things happening all over the world, acts done by human beings of all religions, non-religions and states of mind or despair. But many portions of this thread are only evidence of ignorance and hate mongering, by those that should know better. It's making me sick.

#366443 - 02/05/10 09:47 PM Re: Islam is a kind, caring religion [Re: seashell]
SimonB Offline
Many atrocious acts have been committed in the name of Christianity but when someone does something bad these days you don't see people going "ooo they were a Christian, it must be because of their religion”. Small minded people trying to stir the pot is what keeps fanning the fires of mistrust and hatred.

#366449 - 02/05/10 10:02 PM Re: Islam is a kind, caring religion [Re: SimonB]
Peter Jones Offline
Perhaps a look at the structure of Turkey might clarify things. The country is trying to become a modern secular society to support its application to join the EU, but the vast majority of people there are deeply religious and reject what their government is trying to do. The only mass religion found there is Islam. I haven't found any report of this murder that mentions religion, but this
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...lf-1655373.html
and this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/country_profiles/1022222.stm
help to substantiate what I have just said. In addition, I am not aware of any other social structure other than a Muslim/Islamic one that holds "honour killings" to be not just justified but mandated. Sure there are murders in all societies, but "honour killings" are a very special phenomenon associated AFAIK only with Muslim societies.

I am astonished at the inability of some to see what is going on, put it in context, and have a rational discussion about it. This is not remotely a "hate" thread, nor is it attempting to typify Muslims. It is however referring to a trait that is sadly too common in Muslim countries and communities-within-countries, and especially in Turkey.

#366457 - 02/05/10 11:07 PM Re: Islam is a kind, caring religion [Re: Peter Jones]
klcman Offline

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.