Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#367278 02/11/10 10:31 PM
P
OP Offline
P
For decades Canadian mature cheddar has been one of the best types of cheese available in Britain. Does anyone know if it's available in Belize? I've never seen it.

Do you mean Kraft Crackerbarrel Cheddar? That's what I eat at home and what I used to carry down to BZ with me from home. If that's what you meant, try Super Buy. As always, check the expiry date on it, but the stuff I got a couple of weeks ago, was just fine.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

For imported Cheeses your best bet is wine devine lots of imported cheeses there.

S
S
Wine de Vine carries Black Diamond by the ounce now.

P
OP Offline
P
I don't know Black Diamond, but Kraft Crackerbarrel comes nowhere near the quality of the Canadian cheddar available in Britain. I'm guessing here, but possibly partly because it is packaged in such small quantities. For some reason, the best (hard) cheese always seems to come in much larger slabs until it's finally cut for the consumer.

I thought that as we have some US and other cheeses readily available in supermarkets here, and that there are quite a few Canadians here, that maybe some of this cheese might have filtered through. I did get some Canadian dive guests to bring me some once, and it really was superb compared with everything I've encountered here.

N
N
IMO Black Diamond is good and worth a try Peter. The best we have tasted in our travels has been Anchor cheddar from New Zealand (butter also). I think we found it at Super Buy but not sure.

P
OP Offline
P
I will certainly try Black Diamond, thanks. I can't point to any trade names (brands) that anyone here would recognise, as what I'm thinking of is almost entirely sold as supermarket own-brands in the UK. Goes back to the days before Britain shafted the Commonwealth by joining the EU (EEC), when it had preferential trade deals with Canada & New Zealand and other Commonwealth nations. Canadian cheddar wasn't just some of the best, it was also highly competitive in price. The price has gone up a lot because of EU tariffs, but the British appetite foe mature Canadian cheddar doesn't seem to have diminished.

Perhaps what I'm thinking of is purely made in Canada FOR the British market, and isn't available locally....?

To me, Black Diamond doesn't taste much different than Kraft Crackerbarrel, but then I'm no cheese connoisseur. Best of luck.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks. I'll try the Black Diamond, but I suspect I'll have to wait until I'm back in the UK to get the real McCoy!

S
S
Well here's an interesting fact: http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/Pages/canadiancheddarcheese

From another article:

"Fine Canadian cheddar producers: Balderson, Black River Cheese Co, Maple Dale Cheese, Eldroado Cheese Ltd, Pine River Cheese and Butter Corporation, Kaseman's Curds and Whey, Grande Cheese, National Cheese, Black Diamond (a division of Parmalat), Ontario; Armstrong Cheese, The Village Cheese B.C;, Delapointe, Agropur, Lactel, Fromagerie La Ferme au Village Quebec: Framers Dairy N S: Armstrong Cheese, Saskatchewan; Armstrong Cheese, Alberta" http://www.foodreference.com/html/artcheddarcheese.html

Last edited by SimonB; 02/12/10 07:30 PM. Reason: add on
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.