Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by NYgal
well... It's not from shaving smile

i keep the important parts trimmed nicely haha.

ed50 - no i didnt do anything preventative. Just figured it would go away, the light pink part was the only thing there, then the red stuf came up this morning. hell it could be 2 diffrent things. the pink part for sure lookd like a bug bite or jelly sting, then the red looks and feels like poisen wood. So we will see what the dr says. I will post results.

AC

A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok guys the verdict is in. It WAS 2 different things. My thighs are just so sexy i guess they attract trouble. So the dark red more rashy looking stuff is something the locals call "Picka Picka" (not sure on the spelling). It is a micro organism that you can get from swimming. It just floats around and when touched it stings you and dies. It doesnt spread, not contagious, it doesnt itch BADLEY, it just leaves that nasty discoloration for a bit. She said it is rare that I get it this time of the year, but also warned me these guys like to float around docks (which is where i always swim and where i spear fished). So if you wanna swim around docs and want to avoid these guys, i guess a dive skin would be inorder.

Next the other spot, the discolored bruise thing that is on the more inside of my leg. Was some awesome bug bite, she didnt say what kind. But that it was for sure a bug, doubtfully a spider. I was given some pretnizone and benydryll (i know my spelling is horrible). In the form of a shot in my butt, some cream and some pills to take him. This was all just to help up the heeling process though she asked me if i wanted to let it heal natural or speed it up. Since I already took her time with the appointment I took the upsell on the drugs smile.

Thats it people, mystery solved!

AC

AC Pica Pica (itchy Itchy) is really unusual this time of the year, it normally starts around April May time. Its the lava of the Thimble Jelly fish.
A vinegar solution is best to neutralize the stinging cells. Just apply to sensitive areas immediately after getting out of the water, then apply a good antihistamine cream to the area to stop the itching. Bring some Diprosone Cream with you or pick some up at a local pharmacy, it's the most effective relief for the itch from pica pica!!! Or use Eurox lotion on your skin and if it's a bigger problem, use Eurox and buy Atarax antihistimines. Avaiable over the counter.

It seems the reaction gets worse with each repeated exposure.

Colin, Marianne & Sophie the Dog
www.mrptny.com
A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by swanno
AC Pica Pica (itchy Itchy) is really unusual this time of the year, it normally starts around April May time. Its the lava of the Thimble Jelly fish.
A vinegar solution is best to neutralize the stinging cells. Just apply to sensitive areas immediately after getting out of the water, then apply a good antihistamine cream to the area to stop the itching. Bring some Diprosone Cream with you or pick some up at a local pharmacy, it's the most effective relief for the itch from pica pica!!! Or use Eurox lotion on your skin and if it's a bigger problem, use Eurox and buy Atarax antihistimines. Avaiable over the counter.

It seems the reaction gets worse with each repeated exposure.

she (the dr) told me almost exactly all that. she said it might be because im under and around the docks a lot. Shrug, it doesnt itch too bad, i got good self control and havnt scratched it once.

AC

AC, I found that if you run hot (as you can stand) water on it, the itch is relieved for awhile.

A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by chunkyruth
AC, I found that if you run hot (as you can stand) water on it, the itch is relieved for awhile.

nice thanks, its not too bad right now thankfully

smile
AC

P
P
The bad news with pica pica - it doesn't look pica pica to me so it's a pretty extreme reaction - is that unlike most stings and bites where you build up a resistance to them and it affects you less and less pica pica is the opposite - it gets worse and worse over the years.

Dive skin won't help either as they get you at the seal on the neck and wrists where they get trapped. Were you wearing shorts that sort of length on your thigh to where the stings are.

Don't think its the thimble Jelly Fish larvae either - they just appear at the same sort of time

When you're swimming around docks, be careful not to get too close to the posts or ropes hanging in the water. Those little stinging thingys are in those mossy growths.I like ammonia diluted 1 part ammonia to 4 parts water for stings and insect bites.I was stung once with a box jellyfish---vinegar didn't do a thing, tried Windex and got some relief!

A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by natalie p
When you're swimming around docks, be careful not to get too close to the posts or ropes hanging in the water. Those little stinging thingys are in those mossy growths.I like ammonia diluted 1 part ammonia to 4 parts water for stings and insect bites.I was stung once with a box jellyfish---vinegar didn't do a thing, tried Windex and got some relief!

yeah i was spearing around my dock, probably the issue frown

AC

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.