Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
JZB Offline
Originally Posted by Peter Jones
Man's overfishing of the oceans is by indiscriminate trawling with giant nets. All species are gathered including ones not wanted, and under EU law (don't know about other places) those you're not allowed to catch are simply thrown dead back into the ocean. Ironically it is the Spanish who have largely destroyed fish stocks around Britain and the rest of Europe, and the EU has given them special permission to do so!

In this area we don't trawl (yet), so the bulk of fish stocks are safe. That includes the lion fish. No amount of small-scale fishing will have any material effect upon their numbers, as they breed far faster than they're caught.

Peter, our reef is hugely overfished and its not because of trawlers. It is because of hook and line. There are many many fishing guides out there who do not discriminate on size and just want big numbers to please the tourist who doesn't know any better. I know people who were bragging because their guide got them 60-70 fish A DAY. All were kept and most were small snapper.

If fishing guides could do that to the Lionfish, there wouldn't be problem.

JZB: I question your opinion that guides taking tourists fishing with hook and line is the cause of the decline in numbers of fish.
First of all, I don't know that the numbers of fish has declined. When you take into consideration the amount of fish that is being consumed by the increase in restaurants and numbers of tourists wanting to eat fish, I wonder how this demand is satisfied and still it is able for tourist to go out and catch the numbers you refer to.
Keep in mind that prior to the increase in tourists fishing, that demand was supplied by commercial fishing with beach traps, fish traps and gill netting - three much more destructive ways of harvesting fish as opposed to hook and line fishing. I believe it is a much more desirable way to meet this demand by tourists paying a fishing guide to take them fishing than commercially harvesting fish to meet the demand. I doubt that any of the snapper caught by tourists goes to waste as I know a number of guides that are pleased with the additional income they make by selling the excess fish.
Secondly, if one is to believe that the numbers of fish has declined, I would suggest that the destruction of the marine habitat by clearing of mangroves and dredging to "manufacture" land has a much more destructive effect on fish population than the sport fishing. And,there is the effect of addtional polution of the sea caused by the increase in human activity.
No one activity, especially sport fishing, can be blamed.

BYWARREN ,YOUR ON THE MONEY ,,AMEN .WELL SAID AND TO THE POINT..

Living The Dream Every Day!
JZB Offline
" No one activity, especially sport fishing, can be blamed. "

I completely agree with you.

There certainly is less fish out there if the only fish people are catching are considered juveniles. If hundreds of juveniles are being pulled out every day, how many are being left behind to grow into adult fish? Why aren't they catching adult fish in big numbers?

I didn't intend to hijack this post and turn it into a fish debate. The point is if we can put a dent into the snapper numbers, we can certainly do something about the Lionfish if that species is made desirable.

C
chris45 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Lets debate fish population decline by all means, but for the moment can we get back to lion fish?
The closing words in the Youtube video are"the threat from Lion fish is too great for us to sit back and do nothing"
It seems these fish are a reef fish, so that is where our efforts need to be applied. catching them by diving seems to work well, as does spear fishing. Clearly our barrier reef is going to suffer if we don't get rid of this unwelcome arrival.

Lionfish Taco Daily Special mmmmmmm good!
SF Jeff is going to lead the pack of restaurants starting the trend.
Lets go guys , lots of ideas out there, how about a Lionfish Cookbook!
If the restaurants ask for it the fishermen will deliver.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
lionfish ceviche, in coconut sauce, in red curry sauce, grilled with lime butter, fish n chips...

Originally Posted by Peter Jones
Man's overfishing of the oceans is by indiscriminate trawling with giant nets........

While that is true to a very large degree, Peter, is not the only methodology for decimating a specific sea population. Look up the history of New England sdea urchin industry - accomplished by a Japanese driven market & accomplished over a VERY short time by a relatively small work force. My point is, a significant market can indeed selectively clean our a specie.

Did someone say chicken? wink

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (dabunk), 257 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.