Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Christa Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Can anyone recommend good fly fishing sites that we can walk to or get to by bike or golf cart on the southern end of Ambergris Caye? Ideally, I'm looking for good spots that are south of the 3.5-mile marker sign. Many thanks, in advance!

JZB Offline
I'm in that general area and have seen many bonefish out the past couple days. Just wade out from shore anywhere south and you'll find something. Good luck!

K
K
Haven't been down there for a year, but there's a barge landing and a pier with a palapa, right across from an old "South Beach" sign(and power transformer), just b4 the "roundhouse". Between that pier and the next one to the south is, on a good tide, and excellent bonefish flat. Is a concrete seawall all along there. At low tide there's almost no water, so you have to pick your times. Also some barracuda, and for awhile a good-sized bull shark.
ps, that's tough area to wade

Last edited by krehfish; 02/16/10 10:37 AM. Reason: added info

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
Z
Z
Hey, what time of year are you goin' down? I am just a poor fishing guide from MN, lookin' for some DIY spots also. If you have any luck I would love to hear about it. thanks in advance, Steve

C
Christa Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Great suggestions. Thank you!
And a follow up question...did you say bull shark? I didn't think they were common in this area? Nurse sharks is all we've seen.

JZB Offline
I remember that bullshark. He hung out in this area for a couple weeks but I haven't seen him since. It is not common to see bullsharks inside the reef.

P
P
Perhaps as Bull Sharks aren't that common. They love shallow water and often around Dusk is when I've seen them. If you're on a dock or close to shore and see a Shark, it's a Bull.

Many of the shark species, including bull and hammerhead, come inside the reef to have their young.

JZB Offline
Originally Posted by Phil
Perhaps as Bull Sharks aren't that common. They love shallow water and often around Dusk is when I've seen them. If you're on a dock or close to shore and see a Shark, it's a Bull.

Could be a nurseshark too. Seen nursesharks up close right underneath my dock.

K
K
I don't know the birthing cycle, but used to see bulls in March just across on the north side of Congrejo, by the old fisherman's hut. I'm not a shark guy but not much question it/they were bulls as opposed to nurse sharks. They just radiate scary.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.