Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
STORY #1
Richard Headrick Flies in from the US
Ramon's Village owner makes first recognized international flight into Ambergris Caye

WOW..............Who all remembers how I was crucified by some of the locals and local wannabes on this board when I broached this very topic about 2 years ago??????????

Comments like "never gonna happen", "no fuel storage", "no where to park", "we don't want jets comming to San Pedro", "why don't you just stick to being a doctor", "we don't need people like you here" all come to mind.

Well..........there you go :-)

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
W
W
Isn't being right fun?

Good for you. If people can afford to pay the extra fees customs and immg fees to come directly to SP, why not? No jets will arrive on this length runway, and the single and twins that do come make no more noise than the Tropic and Maya flights that we all need to come and go. God bless them.

Seems like many on these boards just like to complain. Must be sad to live like that. Glad you and I are not them.

PM me so we can met someday. We are coming back to see our new home at Sapphire Beach next month. Really makes me want to come and just stay, but I have to work to pay the bills.

OP Offline
Originally posted 5/2/08

This topic is to facilitate discussion about how San Pedro's airstrip can get gov approval to receive direct international flights.

NOT AIRLINERS.

I'm talking about planes in the size range that cuurently arrive daily being able to fly direct to the island and clear customs there instead of having to fly to BZE then to the island.

Example: Cancun direct San Pedro.

I'm looking for input as to how to go about accomplishing this goal not critique of this idea.

Thanks
Thomas Blackledge
[email protected]
601-849-1918 601-849-1918 US

Edited by Belize-N-Us (05/02/08 10:57 AM)

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
OP Offline
1. It is unlikely that there will ever be direct international flights to or from San Pedro except from very close destinations. The primary reason is the length of the runway. Cancun is 200 nautical miles from San Pedro, a relatively long distance that would require a specialized high speed commuter airliner. Since such an aircraft would necessarily be a twin engine, commercial twin engine aircraft are required to reach flying speed and lose an engine and either get airborne or come to a complete stop in a certain distance. This is called the "balance field length". San Pedro is 3000 ft long which is more than enough for anything from a twin otter (which is a short landing and take off aircraft) or any of the aircraft that take off here, but would be way too short for any of the afore mentioned high speed commercial twins. The existing ramp space is also limiting . And finally, it makes more sense for a small government to concentrate all its international flights through one airport for commercial and security reasons.

2. The category 1 or category 2 (compliant or non-compliant) ratings are issued by the American FAA and rate the countries ability to provide oversight. They do not rate the airlines nor do they care about flights that do not touch the United States. Any of the Belizean airlines could fly to Mexico by simply negotiating this right with the Mexicans.

3. Jet fuel storage is not an issue. It is essentially the same as diesel which is stored and dispensed in San Pedro with no problem. Once again space would be an issue with the airstrip.

4. The local airlines depart to the SW because in the event of an engine failure there are better emergency landing sites. It also lessens the noise pollution over the center of town.

5. Finally, Tropic and Maya's permission to fly into Guatemala was suspended by their former director of civil aviation for political and personal reasons. Tropic Air was recently approached by the new director to begin flights again. Once again, Belize's American non compliant oversite rating had nothing to do with the suspension of this service.

John E Greif III
President
Tropic Air

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
OP Offline
Ernie B
Im sure you have the concerns of the Belizean people in your heart.

NOT !

Edited by immissing (05/17/08 09:59 AM)

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
W
W
I know a man who is close to soemone who may be of help to you. If you would like to PM me, I will give you the person to contact.

What you propose is the next step to making for more vistors.

Make it easy and they will come.

OP Offline
]
Ernie B
BNUs. I am a retired business Sr Ex of a billion dollar company. I lived there for 2 years and departed in '02 as it was getting too crowded for me then. What I do with my time is none of your damn business either. I still love SP and visit 3-4 times a year. If I choose to sit on my ass, drink beer and bitch, you better belive I will. For you "GOD LIKE" people, do and say what you wish and expect a few comments in return. Have a good life.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
OP Offline
pamkillen
Why would one want International flights to San Pedro? That is just nutty. It would be fine for me to fly from Belize City to Cancun. I would end up doing all my shopping that way and the Belize economy could suffer but I don't buy that much. Sam's Club is a big draw.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
OP Offline
Ernie B
Direct commercial flights to AC IS stupid, unless you like the noise of loud, whining jet engines. I hope I never see it. Not sure the runways will support larger jets as they are were built for small singles.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918

The board has changed over the past couple of years and toned down a lot.

Its great to say I told you so

Last edited by Gaz Cooper; 02/21/10 06:13 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.