Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#369027 - 02/27/10 10:10 PM Mad skills-The Oliver Stuart Story
dunk Offline
Mad Skills...

That's how Alex described Oliver Stuart, our dive master/tour guide/boat captian (of Cari'Bean Tours), as he dove into the blue abyss in search of the weight pouch that had slipped out of my BC during one of my dives. "Oliver has mad skills... He'll find it... if its down there, he will find it," Alex assured me as our boat of 7 divers looked into the water, wondering if Oliver would be successful in his mission. It took him about two minutes to find my weight pouch, even though I had lost it on a dive that had been a free descent/ascent, and had absolutly no idea when or where it had slipped out. In fact, we were already back in town on our surface interval when I finally decided to investigate my BC to find out why my weight had been off kilter during the last dive. Oliver drove back to the dive site to find it.

Recovering my lost weight pouch wasn't the last of Oliver's mad skills that we experienced in our week on San Pedro. We dove with him and his deck mate, Alex, for over a week. They were both very skilled divers and also fun to hang out with. Oliver is a great cook, and we were lucky enough to enjoy his BBQ twice during our trip. Amazing! On our last day, Oliver took us on a tour of his back yard, aka the Caribbean ocean, and it was seriously one of the best days of my life. We went diving, traded some fisherman some rum punch for fresh fish, went snorkling, enjoyed a beach BBQ on a lovely little island, drank our weight in rum punch, met Lobster Man, saw manatees, met the mayor of manatee town (long story), toured to Caye Caulker, and saw the sun set on the Caribbean. What an amazing day!

My recomendations for food on San Pedro: Warigumas, Pinocchio's, El Fogon, Wild Mango's and the little taco stand near El Fogon whose name I can't remember but whose fryjacks I always will. Best pina colada: El Patio. Things to do: dive, dive, dive, go on a beach BBQ with Oliver Stuart, drink lots of rum, tour the art galleries and shops (especially the ones on main street just south of town... "Orange" is way overpriced but the others on that street are awsome), play with the dog named Tequila at Pinoccio's, and last but certainly not least, get a massage and body scrub at the spa located in the Pheonix hotel. Seriously, that scrub was one of my vacation highlights. If you can't visit during Carnival, you should certainly visit during lobster season!

We've been home for a week... I dearly miss San Pedro, and our new friend Oliver. -Sara

#369033 - 02/28/10 08:30 AM Re: Mad skills-The Oliver Stuart Story [Re: dunk]
CarlosCabanas Offline
Oliver is a great Dive Master and it does not surprise me that he is a good cook. His mother is a well known caterer on the island and is going to be the head chef for a new restaurant upstairs in Fido's. From what I'm to understand it will be called Fusion and will be in the old Sushi spot. Something to watch out for! Sylvia's styles of cuisine can also be savored at the Tranquility Bay Resort restaurant as she helped us redo our menu. Another cool day trip from town!

P.S. Keep your weights in their pockets! smile

#369037 - 02/28/10 09:42 AM Re: Mad skills-The Oliver Stuart Story [Re: CarlosCabanas]
Craigswench Offline
Oliver was one of the first people I met in San Pedro. You are right, he does have mad skills!!!! And he happens to be one of the nicest, most genuine people I know. Kudos to Oliver--- and his wife is pretty amazing too!

#369158 - 03/01/10 03:01 PM Re: Mad skills-The Oliver Stuart Story [Re: dunk]
Kelly from MN Offline
Does Cari'bean tours have a webiste? I haven't been able to find one. Sounds like a great company to dive with.

#369159 - 03/01/10 03:12 PM Re: Mad skills-The Oliver Stuart Story [Re: Kelly from MN]
dunk Offline
yes he does have a website.on my computer all i type is cari'bean tours and it pops right up.do it with google

#369211 - 03/02/10 08:01 AM Re: Mad skills-The Oliver Stuart Story [Re: dunk]
Marty Online   happy

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Marty), 51 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,717 Topics
461,256 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.