Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
arusha1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi, We recently bought a place on AC and need to open a Bank
Account for rental deposits, play money etc. Any thoughts on which bank to use and if deposits are made in Belizean $ can we make withdrawals in USD and avoid a service charge.
Thanks

ausha1, I can answer some of your questions.

We use Atlantic Bank, Nice people and we can transfer $$ online, pay some Belize bills, etc.

Note: Very Important - You will need a letter (maybe 2 letters for some Belize banks) from your US bank stating you have an account and are in good standing with the US bank, in order to open a Belize bank account. (Check with the bank to find out exactly what they require)
FYI, My Belize bank called my bank here in the states to verify the letter was written by them.

Shop around and see what bank fits your situation, plenty of banks in San Pedro.

Deposits are recorded in Belize $$ even if you deposit US $$.

I am not sure how you withdraw US $$ without any service charge
because we have managed to pretty much spend most of the money we deposit in our bank so no need to weigh us down on the return trips back to the US.
Besides it leaves more room in our suitcase for One Barrel Rum.

I hope this helps OR you are welcome to deposit as much $$$ as you want into our Belize account No charge (No Withdrawal) wink

A
arusha1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the info. and I'll have to think about using your
account for deposits but if I do what is that acct.# ha ha

P
P
I don't think you will be able to withdraw US$ when depositing Bz$ at all - let alone without a Service Charge. You can open US$ accounts and then get US$ either as an offshore company if you're not Belizean residents, or locally with some restrictions. I suggest you talk to all the major local banks and some of the offshore experts/banks too.

Its also my belief you can't withdraw US funds in a Belize Bank accout which is set up for Belize funds. You will need the offshore account within that same bank. We opened our accout at Atlantic Bank also, and the last trip down 3 weeks ago, I brought the letter of introduction for my wife to be put on the account. When We first opened the account, the letters I brought did not have her name specific on them and ergo she could not be part of the account. Also, a word of note, You must have at least 1 transaction within a calander year or the account goes dormant. I was told to reinstate the account, I hand to make three transactions to get it jumped started (deposits) I only had time to make the first before we left and now I must send them some money via snail mail on the last two.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Offshore accounts have a big ticket to set up and annual fees that make it impractical for some uses. Just go Belize money normal account, I'm sure your gona find its easy to spend down here if you own a place.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
T
T
Should your rental income exceed your local spending and you still want access I would suggest setting up an international Visa card on the account which would allow you to spend money in the US or Canada and then simply pay the bill in Belize dollars. There will be a small service charge but it is well worth it. I would suggest Atlantic Bank and simply get a regular checking account.

Thats a great idea.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.