Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Grant well said .And soooooooooooo true .

Living The Dream Every Day!
My letter to the editor.

What's It Going To Take

We just had two traffic accidents caused by excessive speeding.
There is seldom a time when I am driving that someone doesn't speed by me in a manner that would be impossible for them to avoid an accident, if for instance a young person ran into the street chasing a soccer ball or if anyone or anything were to be unexpectedly presented necessitating the speeder to avoid contact.
With this island so dependent on tourism where people come for a tranquil and relaxing vacation, not wanting to experience the dangers and unpleasantness of uncontrolled traffic, and the potential harm to residents, then for God's sake, what is it going to take for the people responsible for our safety to act.
When will the first speeding ticket be issued in San Pedro?
When will the first person lose their driving license for repeated offenses?
When will this island take the necessary actions to make it a safe and enjoyable place to be?
Where are the people whose responsibility this is?

A VERY CONCERNED long time visitor, Byron Warren

I think a person can walk 10 miles an hour, but you can be half that fast and beat motor traffic in town.
A humorous thing about walking around in San Pedro is pedestrians seem to go from place to place and beat the traffic because traffic goes up a street and down the other to get just a few hundred feet away.
Do we really need all those motorized vehicles?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
P
P
I'm sure we don't. I find walking or cycling perfectly adequate for 90% of what I do, but I know other people who live as close as I do to town who nonetheless always use motorised transport. I know people who live out of town and not unreasonably use a cart or something to get in, but then having their vehicle they use it if they just want to go a few hundred yards.

Byron - perhaps your letter should be typed up as a petition. I'm sure that with 30 or 40 signatures on it the traffic department might take notice. And what's this nonsense of the police having a radar gun but not being allowed to use it as evidence - can't that be changed?

P
P
Actually Elbert, I think you'll find most people walk at between 3 and 6 miles per hour. In San Pedro closer to 3. But the point you make is still valid.

L
L
Hopefully all the members of the Town Board will run out of relatives to grant a taxi franchise. This "horse" has been beaten to death over the years, and it is only getting worse.
I'm afraid I'm rather pessimistic anything will change.

R.B. Mernitz
The guy that drives this polaris is a maniac.
I have seen him many times drive like a crazy man. He has no respect for the laws of the road or any other people around him. A lot of his fellow country men drive way too fast in their vehicles. The traffic office should be more vigilant in controling the traffic here on the island, instead of walking around looking for people to give parking tickets too.
The traffic situation on this island has got out of hand. It is time for the people to demand that something is done, it is time that new regulations are put in place to stop inappropriate vehicles being allowed on the island, Taxi should be prevented from touting for passengers while driving down the road. I am tired of walking down the street and hearing "TAXI" called out to me. Trucks should be banned form the roads at certain times of the day and at weekends. I believe that barrier reef drive should be made a predestian only street. It is time that the Town Board wake up and do somrthing about this situation before someone gets killed. They should stop worrying about upsetting a few, and start to improve the life for many.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
J
J
these BMX utv's are really strange vehicles. i actually built that exact cart, they do have an extremely narrow wheelbase. i just hope sam's ok!

live in the dream
Another point about the speeding, The town board did have a radar gun but it broke. the speed limits are law and you can be convicted of speeding here, but not without evidence from more than one witness.
Why don't we get up a petition to present to the town board on the traffic situation, if enough people sign it they will have to do something, or next election????????

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
I sent the following message to the San Pedro Town Board and the tourism board today
Dear SPTB
There are many nice, friendly and considerate people in San Pedro.
I own rental property in San Pedro- at least 12 Belizeans make their living working for our home owners and condominium property.
Many more Belizeans benefit from the guests we bring down to Belize who patronize restaurants, grocery stores, shops . They also dive, go fishing, boating, sailing etc..
We depend on our guests to spread the good word about San Pedro when they return to their home towns, if guests have a bad experience unfortunately that is what they will remember and tell their friends and relatives back home.
The traffic in San Pedro is a big problem- an even larger problem is the behavior of the drivers.
I am afraid they will not have good reports when they are very nearly run down by carts, trucks, motorcycles, taxis and SUVs.
Our condos are very close to the San Pedro Police Department and many a time people will speed right past the police station!
But the problem is certainly not limited to that area it is all over town.
You need to educate the public- the "tourists"- should be perceived as guests in Belize, they should be treated as guests. They should feel safe on the roads, on the beach and at their lodgings. They should be protected by the authorities.
The taxi and truck drivers and the residents need to be reminded that the guests to San Pedro drive the economy.
Remind them that the guests are on vacation, not used to the narrow crowded streets and they must have patience..
I look forward to your reply to this e mail.
Thank you.
Sincerely,

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.