Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#369462 - 03/04/10 03:15 PM Polaris Overturns On Front Street
Marty Online   happy

The peaceful monotony of a Monday afternoon on Barrier Drive was interrupted at about 5:30p.m. when the driver of a Polaris swerved to avoid hitting someone, causing it to flip and land on top of him.

According to eye witnesses, the driver of the Polaris was speeding and upon trying to avoid hitting the person he swerved to the left causing the Polaris to overturn and landing on top of the driver. The driver was assisted by those who were around and received medical attention by Dr. Daniel Gonzalez.

According to Police reports, upon arriving on the scene of the traffic accident on Barrier Reef Drive they observed that a Lebanese national was seen lying on the pavement face down complaining of pain to the neck and both legs. The male person was transported to the Ambergris Hopes Clinic for further medical attention.

According to their investigation the male person was driving a camouflage ATV bearing License plate SPC 1459 at a high speed and lost control causing the vehicle to overturn several times and fell on his legs causing self injuries, the driver of the vehicle was later identified as 18-year-old Lagha Mahmud, Lebanese National of North San Pedro Town.

Speeding is a major problem in the island; no one ever seems respects the speed limit in the town area of 10 miles per hour. Authorities should be more vigilant and motorist should also respect the speed limit and be more cautious, before any major accident occurs.

Ambergris Today

#369469 - 03/04/10 03:41 PM Re: Polaris Overturns On Front Street [Re: Marty]
elbert Offline
"no one ever seems respects the speed limit in the town area of 10 miles per hour."
Wow Did anybody ever hear of a speed limit? I'm serious I didn't know we had a speed limit.
Some signs might help, at least then they could feel guilty.

#369476 - 03/04/10 03:48 PM Re: Polaris Overturns On Front Street [Re: elbert]
Peter Jones Offline
Last week I had to dodge a speeding Polaris that looks very much like that one. I estimated his speed at somewhere between 30mph and 35mph. Exceedingly fast for the conditions, and way too fast for these very unstable vehicles.

#369477 - 03/04/10 03:49 PM Re: Polaris Overturns On Front Street [Re: elbert]
Phil Offline
Signs won't work. As an example. I think there are or were signs in Town stating the speed limit, but I'm not sure as I can't remember if there are any now.

#369478 - 03/04/10 03:50 PM Re: Polaris Overturns On Front Street [Re: Phil]
Peter Jones Offline
I wonder what a radar gun would cost? Not very much these days, I think.

#369480 - 03/04/10 03:51 PM Re: Polaris Overturns On Front Street [Re: Phil]
Phil Offline
Get a radar gun and start giving out tickets. If thats the guy who runs the Supermarket over the bridge I am not surprised at all. I see him doing almost 50mph between the High School and the bridge and have twice stepped into the road and told him to slow down.

#369481 - 03/04/10 03:52 PM Re: Polaris Overturns On Front Street [Re: Phil]
Phil Offline
Oh god I need a therapist if we're on the same wavelength!!!!!

#369483 - 03/04/10 03:55 PM Re: Polaris Overturns On Front Street [Re: Phil]
JZB Offline
The Police do have a radar gun but the findings are not admissible in court if the speeder fights his ticket. Most importantly, I don't believe the speed limits are LAW, they are only suggestions.

#369486 - 03/04/10 03:56 PM Re: Polaris Overturns On Front Street [Re: Phil]
CarlosCabanas Offline
That is actually not a Polaris. It is a UTV made in China. Very narrow wheel base.

#369490 - 03/04/10 04:34 PM Re: Polaris Overturns On Front Street [Re: CarlosCabanas]
SP Daily Offline
Speed Limit is 10 MPH in the village...15 MPH elsewhere.
Once long ago there were speed limit signs but they disappeared.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marty, 1 invisible), 35 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,024 Topics
462,217 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.