Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The peaceful monotony of a Monday afternoon on Barrier Drive was interrupted at about 5:30p.m. when the driver of a Polaris swerved to avoid hitting someone, causing it to flip and land on top of him.

According to eye witnesses, the driver of the Polaris was speeding and upon trying to avoid hitting the person he swerved to the left causing the Polaris to overturn and landing on top of the driver. The driver was assisted by those who were around and received medical attention by Dr. Daniel Gonzalez.

According to Police reports, upon arriving on the scene of the traffic accident on Barrier Reef Drive they observed that a Lebanese national was seen lying on the pavement face down complaining of pain to the neck and both legs. The male person was transported to the Ambergris Hopes Clinic for further medical attention.

According to their investigation the male person was driving a camouflage ATV bearing License plate SPC 1459 at a high speed and lost control causing the vehicle to overturn several times and fell on his legs causing self injuries, the driver of the vehicle was later identified as 18-year-old Lagha Mahmud, Lebanese National of North San Pedro Town.

Speeding is a major problem in the island; no one ever seems respects the speed limit in the town area of 10 miles per hour. Authorities should be more vigilant and motorist should also respect the speed limit and be more cautious, before any major accident occurs.

Ambergris Today

"no one ever seems respects the speed limit in the town area of 10 miles per hour."
Wow Did anybody ever hear of a speed limit? I'm serious I didn't know we had a speed limit.
Some signs might help, at least then they could feel guilty.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
P
P
Last week I had to dodge a speeding Polaris that looks very much like that one. I estimated his speed at somewhere between 30mph and 35mph. Exceedingly fast for the conditions, and way too fast for these very unstable vehicles.

P
P
Signs won't work. As an example. I think there are or were signs in Town stating the speed limit, but I'm not sure as I can't remember if there are any now.

P
P
I wonder what a radar gun would cost? Not very much these days, I think.

P
P
Get a radar gun and start giving out tickets. If thats the guy who runs the Supermarket over the bridge I am not surprised at all. I see him doing almost 50mph between the High School and the bridge and have twice stepped into the road and told him to slow down.

P
P
Oh god I need a therapist if we're on the same wavelength!!!!!

JZB Offline
The Police do have a radar gun but the findings are not admissible in court if the speeder fights his ticket. Most importantly, I don't believe the speed limits are LAW, they are only suggestions.

That is actually not a Polaris. It is a UTV made in China. Very narrow wheel base.

S
S
Speed Limit is 10 MPH in the village...15 MPH elsewhere.
Once long ago there were speed limit signs but they disappeared.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.