Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Several people have asked about how to donate money to the Island Academy and/or the Casey (Gallon Jug) School.

I have the bank information, if you would like to donate, email me at [email protected] and put Bowen Donation in the subject line. I will send you the information for making donations.

Change your Latitude
OP Offline
It has been suggested to me on another site that why would anyone donate money to the Bowen family. I find this spiteful and ridiculous. The family asked that in lieu of flowers, that they send contributions to one of the passions instilled in Barry, i.e., educating the children of Belize.

Change your Latitude
J
J
From reading the OP's post, it looks as if the schools are asking for donations in honor of the late Barry Bowen.

This has nothing to do with whether or not the Bowen family can "afford" to donate money to the schools. However, this is for the education of the students, field trips, activities, supplies, and paying the teachers.

Yeah, the tuitions should cover these costs, but unfortunately they don't.

I'm only speaking as I know several of the teachers from the school, and they TRULY have a love of teaching.

The Island Academy (cannot speak for Casey School, as I have no information) is not a for-profit business, so shame on you, shuffles, for jumping the gun on this.

If you re-read the OP, you'll see that this donation is NOT for the Bowen family; it's for the schools.

Disclaimer: In case you're wondering, I can hardly call myself a friend of the Bowens but I'm just speaking from opinion.

j03design - I don't think you got the right gist of Shuffles post. She knows and understands that the schools are always in need of additional funding - and she is offering to provide the bank information for folks that would like to make donations to the schools, either in honour of Sir Barry, or simply because people would like to help support the schools.

OP Offline
Thank you Amanda. J03, I initially spread this information as we had many friends and family ask if they could send flowers or something in memory of Barry. The family asked that donations be made in his name to either of the schools. I received a response on another site indicating that the Bowens had plenty of money and why would they send any. I was trying to nip in the bud any further comments about this.

I do understand that all of the teachers both at the Gallon Jug School and at the Island Academy truly love teaching or they would not be there. I am only trying to help the family in this time, by giving information to those that want to express their sorrow, those who may be in the US or Canada, who could not express themselves in any other way.

Change your Latitude
Agreed - shuffles is definitely a trustworthy source - knows many kids who go to Island Academy and goes to school events in support of them and is and pro school/education.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

J
J
Originally Posted by shuffles
It has been suggested to me on another site that why would anyone donate money to the Bowen family. I find this spiteful and ridiculous.

Ah, I apologize profusely. I did not look at shuffles' name in the second post, and I thought it was someone replying to the original post (which is also shuffles). My apologies... But as you can see from the above quote, it's easy to misread or misinterpret that :P I understood those two sentences as finding that she found it spiteful and ridiculous that anyone can donate money to the Bowen family...

I honestly thought that it was someone else replying to the original post :P

W
W
Originally Posted by shuffles
It has been suggested to me on another site that why would anyone donate money to the Bowen family. I find this spiteful and ridiculous. The family asked that in lieu of flowers, that they send contributions to one of the passions instilled in Barry, i.e., educating the children of Belize.

"Educating the chidren of Belize". Was the Island Academy not a private school that parents have to pay for?

Last edited by Winston1984; 03/07/10 12:11 AM.
It still is a private school. I don't believe the school makes any money. Hence the fundraisers such as the luau. Regardless of personal political ideologies such as free education for everyone, equal education, some of those are just not possible given the economics of the country. Island Academy gives another option for education.

OP Offline
Both the Island Academy and the Casey School were started by Mr. Bowen. While the Island Academy does charge a fee for students to attend, it is a not for profit organization. You are correct Carlos. The RC school also charges a fee for students. Donations help the schools to buy more supplies, hire additional teachers, etc.

Change your Latitude
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.