Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#368650 02/25/10 08:51 AM
C
Cooper Offline OP
OP Offline
C
With the high airfares out of Belize I am thinking of going RT from Cancun in May. I usually leave here with empty suitcases and return with supplies for my business, computer, printers, paints etc. My question will I get charged Duty upon arriving in Mexico..dont want to pay twice! I will have my bus ticket with me to Belize and I am a legal resident of Belize.....

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
We usually fly out of Cancun and back into Belize City. This way we don't have to lug our heavy bags back on the bus to Belize. Usually saves about $300 US per person doing it this way. Have never come back in through Cancun so not sure about customs practices coming in there.

Change your Latitude
P
P
I've often flown into Cancun and have never been charged duty. They're even allowed me to bring in things prohibited in Mexico on my assurance that I'm taking them straight to Belize.

Belizean Customs at Corozal can be another matter.....

M
M
When you enter Belize at the Northern border, you will be asked, "Do you have anything to declare?", just as you would at PGIA.

P
P
Yes. Sometimes they'll just accept your word and wave you through, other times they may open every bag and spread the contents over several tables. Seems to depend on how bored they are. I was once charged duty on prescription drugs, even though all packages were clearly marked by the pharmacy with my name and I had a copy of the prescription with me. Yet on another occasion I declared a Stilton cheese weighing around 12lb, and not only did they not confiscate it (as I believe they should have done) they didn't even charge duty. Quite inconsistent.

C
C
You are allowed $300 U.S. per person on new stuff and unlimited on used stuff for your personal use. They are X-raying ALL the luggage now as you are going through customs. So, for a couple, you can be charged duty on anything over $600. Duty is around 11% across the board. I find that if I am carrying a lot of items, I just go to the declare section, take my receipts and pay. And they NEVER search me, so consequently, I never declare everything, just enough. If you pay the duty in U.S. dollars, then you will screwed on the exchange rate, so I always make sure I have pesos for the return trip. I tell them, "Yo viva Y trabajar en Belice" (I live and work in Belize) Practice your spanish phrases before you go.

We went through once and when they asked us if we had anything to declare I said just housewares showed them my string tied bundle of 2 boxes - a stand up fan and a folding laundry rack. They waved us through.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.