Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#371089 03/20/10 04:16 PM
L
Lauraf Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm building a house on AC and thinking about whether to install solar panels. I am on "the grid" but I would like to supplement that with my own power.

Any advice on here from people who have done this? How do you protect the panels in a storm?

Thank-you!

Excellent idea......bolt them down with stainless anchor bolts.

Last edited by Relaxed; 03/21/10 11:29 AM.
L
Lauraf Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Relaxed, do you think the waste of money is in the cost of installing solar panels, or in making them storm resistant?

I'm not sure how solar panels would be a waste of money as when I do the math of how long it would take to pay for the cost of them it seems reasonable enough. Though that is doing the math with how much they cost to purchase here in California...

My power is as reliable enough, however it is more getting rid of most of my monthly electricity bill in the process.

L
Lauraf Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Relaxed! Did you change your comment while I had the window open to respond?

L
Lauraf Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Forgive me if this question sounds silly, however, do you think it is necessary to put anything over them in the case of a storm, or would being bolted down very, very well be good enough?

bolting down won't be good enough. there will be flying debris. you know, boats, golf carts, lawn chairs, tree limbs etc. These will shatter the panels.

C
C
I should not worry about damage in a severe storm or a hurricane. All the protection in the world will not save your property in the event of a force 4 or 5 Hurricane. Get the panels and the rest of your property insured.
The ONLY important thing in a hurricane is to get you and your family OUT (OK, pets get a ticket too) Let the insurance company pay for eventual replacements. You can buy new panels but human life is what matters.

L
Lauraf Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the advice Chris.

I just wasn't sure if it would make sense to put something over them in the same way there are shutters over windows to help in less severe storms.

Does anyone have solar panels? What do you do?

most people dismantle and store the panels. There was a huge solar panel field here on the island that was destroyed by Hurricane Keith - about $2m worth of damage. I don't know if they were insured or not.

Preparation for a storm takes a few days - you have to have a plan, write it down on a check list.

Indeed your lives are the most precious, but a few hours of planning and preparation can provide peace of mind, and might permit you to have something to come home to after the storm.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.