Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#371502 03/24/10 09:57 PM
W
wyowind Offline OP
OP Offline
W
How is the cell coverage on Verizon in Northern Belize? We will be sailing in early April and didn't know if I may need a satellite phone.

P
P
You'll have the coverage given by BTL's Digicell service, because that's what you will be connecting to. Verizon and all other US networks don't operate in Belize.

C
C
You can get your Verizon phone to work in Belize by contacting them before you leave and making arrangements with them ahead of time. Rates will be considerably higher. I assume that is because you are paying BTL through Verizon.

For those of you who are considering using your phones here and do not want costly roaming charges...

In order to have mobile cellular service in Belize, an unlocked GSM (Global System Mobile Communication) 1900 MHz cellular phone is required.

Our friend got her provider (at&t) to unlock her lg neon before coming here and she then bought a digicell sim chip for $50.

Cell rentals on the island are another option. http://quicksilvermessagingservices.com/

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

P
P
Originally Posted by crockhunter
You can get your Verizon phone to work in Belize

This of course is "working" in the sense that it will be able to roam onto the BTL network. Coverage will be BTL coverage, and of course as has been stated you can expect costs to be enormous, but fine for just emergency usage. If you want to chat on the phone your best bet would be to get a prepaid BTL Digicell SIM card ahead of time. Maybe BTL can provide that via their website, or perhaps someone here can help (buy it and mail it to you). So long as it has on-board credit of at least US$25 that credit will be good for three months, so bear that period in mind when you get it.

Originally Posted by crockhunter
You can get your Verizon phone to work in Belize by contacting them before you leave and making arrangements with them ahead of time. Rates will be considerably higher. I assume that is because you are paying BTL through Verizon.

You don't have to contact Verizon.....just turn your Verizon cell phone on when you arrive and be prepared to pay $1.75 US per minute.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
J
J
Texting from Belize with a Verizon phone isn't terribly expensive. Much less than talking...

S
S
Our verizon phone worked fine in San Pedro. Verizon does not charge extra to have international calling added to your plan. The rates are listed on their website.

C
C
The coverage on my Verizon phone in San Pedro was fine in April 09, but when i returned in July 09, and December 09 I had no signal at all. couldn't send/receive text either, however when I had signal in April I paid $.50 cents to receive text and $1.25 to send out text. Never could figure out why I didn't have signal in July and December.

I've used my Verizon phone the past two years, while my international calling plan isn't "free" it beats most of what's been posted here IMHO. I pay about $4.00/month and then while in Belize I'm at either .35 or .38/minute, but what I really like is that I get those rates while I'm in the states and calling friends who live in Belize.

YA CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON A GOOD TIME
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.